This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MNPE1 ROM test

Started by Keegan, May 28, 2014 · 12 Replies · 415 Views

Keegan

Hey guys and girls,

 

I've been on MN PE1 for what seems like an eternity, and at this point it seems like I have hit a point where ROM is no longer increasing, no matter how much I stretch or attempt to compress. It feels like my thighs are hitting my torso, and that my body just isn't designed to allow my chest/pecs to touch my thighs.

 

I've filmed myself several times on these and it just seems like this is the maximum ROM that my individual structure will allow in terms of compression. Is this sufficient ROM to start building endurance, or do you guys have some further advice or exercises that you have used to help to get that last little bit of ROM to allow the knees to reach the chest (while staying together, if I let them flare to the sides I have no issues).

 

Also, sorry for the small angle and furniture in the way, but hopefully you can see the important part(s) of the exercise.

 

Thanks for any help.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mAyV0fcBpM

 

P.S. Hope the vid works, this is my first attempt to post a form check vid.

SLY

It says "This video is private", we can't see anything. You have to change the setup of the vid in "Only ppl can see the vid who have the link for it" something like that.

thecolin

Change the video from 'private' to 'unlisted'.

Keegan

Oops, sorry about that. 

 

Ok, let's try this again.

 

Alan Tseng

When you come back down, I still notice a bit of a gap.  It seems like you could still hollow more

Keegan

Yes, I'm still working on staying flat at the bottom, but I was more asking about the amount of compression at the top.

Alan Tseng

the more you hollow, the better the compression

Keegan

Ok, thanks, I'll continue to work on hollowing more, but I am definitely hollowing enough for my back to be flat on the floor at the top of the motion and it is only when my hip flexors are lengthened as I attempt to bring them to the floor that it becomes difficult to keep the back perfectly flat. Once the hips bend then flattening the back is easy. So, I'm not really clear on why keeping my back flat at the bottom will improve my compression at the top.

But I appreciate the advice anyhow and will continue to strive to keep hollow at the bottom. Thanks.

Keegan

Ok, so I tried a couple more things today to see if they made any difference in my amount of compression.

 

First, I sped up the movement. I noticed that in the demo video the athlete was going faster than I was in my previous form check video. Would this be considered too much speed though?

 

 

After watching it several more times I also noticed that while the athlete was not keeping their back completely flat against the floor at the bottom of the movement, they were maintaining a stomach vacuum/transverse abdominus tension, so I experimented with this to see if it helped my compression at the top. Would this be considered enough compression at the top of the movement?

 

 

Finally, since I'm at it with the form checks, I figured I'd post up a form check of my deck squats to see if my form is up to par or whether I am using too much momentum to get back to my feet.

 

 

Thanks again for any advice that anyone can give.

dynamo

In the first Tuck Up vid I think you should pause briefly at the top.

 

In the second Tuck Up vid your compression looks pretty good; although it falls a little short of the athlete in the gb vid.  I need to defer to someone else on whether it meets Mastery.

 

The Deck Squat looks good enough for Mastery to me.

MT Nordic

frankly i think they're both ok. I'd say you're not going to get much more compression on the tuck ups. Like you say, slower, like your first video. Good job being persistent and working towards your goal.

Keegan

Thanks Dynamo.

It seems like when I go slow the muscles in my legs and core get in my way of fully compressing, while if I go faster I don't have to flex the muscles as hard and thus there is more room for compression.

One other thing I noticed from watching the demo video yet again is that the athlete's level of compression varies slightly between the 3 reps that he does.

On the first rep his knees hit his chest, but only for a split second and he balance checks briefly/slightly with his fingers.

On the second reps his knees seem to come all the way back to his chest and seem to pause there and he keeps his fingers off the floor.

On the third rep he maintains balance, but his knees fall slightly short of his chest (looks like similar level of compression to what I am getting going slower, and the level of compression shown in the still photo to the right of the demo vid).

I think this has led me to believe that my level of compression is satisfactory to begin building volume with speed similar to my first vid (maybe slightly slower). I will post another vid when I am close to mastery. Thanks for the help guys.

If any GB certified athlete or coach would suggest otherwise though I'm definitely still open to altering that course of action.

Keegan

Cool, thanks MT, will do.