This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shocked Myself

Started by wheezer, May 28, 2014 · 22 Replies · 1,118 Views

wheezer

Last night, after pulling myself up into a chest-high flexed arm-hang, I jokingly thought I would try an archer pull up.

I expected to move about an inch, but found I had the strength to get three quarters of the way to a full archer!

This is incredible! I'm still on RC/PE1 grinding to get 5x9r without stopping. Amazing to think what I'll be able to do when ready for the rings program!

ausswe

Congrats man!. I can do muscle ups on the rings now thanks the pe6 :D these lower progressions do seem to make you take leaps and bounds in what you are actually capable of...

DBeckerman

Those early rings exercises really do have a great carry over. I am even thinking of keeping 5x10 RC PE4 in my workout then adding in PE6 on top of that (that is where I am up to).

 

Nice work.

Oompa2

I had a similar experience today when we did one of our fitness tests this morning. After having done no real strength endurance training for a long time, I managed to achieve 55 Cadence Push Ups (2 second cadence) after going up and down the ropes 3 times.

 

And, something I have never done, got 12 cadence heaves (chest to bar) - with a two second pause at the top. I am up to Lying Rows (can't remember the progression number) and haven't done heaves in ages so was very happy given time away from that specific exercise.

 

Foundation 1 really works!!! haha :D

 

-Callum

William

congrats!

archer pull ups weren't that hard for me, last summer did 3 sets of 5 per arm, but i think it helped, that i trained my whole pull up stuff on rings, which maybe helps to get the stabilisation/coordination hehe 

 

but be careful, never go to failure on these, could become a bad story i think 

Mike71
William said:

 

but be careful, never go to failure on these, could become a bad story i think 

 

Do you mean never train to failure with any of the PE's?

William
Mike71 said:

Do you mean never train to failure with any of the PE's?

no just archer pull ups :D

kingzlo

I'm on RC/PE1 as well.  I never knew what Archer Pullups were until I looked it up just now.  I realized that I can go all the way up and move from side to side, in slow motion, when I was training a friend of mine with jogging and afterwards he wanted to play basketball.  He played against a person while I was on the sidelines.  While I was there I went to the gate, pulled up and went side to side, just to show off and I surprised myself in the process for that was the first time doing that.  This was 2 weeks ago and I was on week 5 (4x6).  Now on week 8 (5x9), struggling on last 2-3 reps at 4th and 5th set, yesterday (Monday) on F4 routine.  F3 tonight with handstands.

Keegan

I must be using a different nomenclature than you guys as I always defined Archer Pull-Ups as essentially a pull-up done on rings where one side does essentially a straight arm pull to cross position and the other side does a regular bent arm pull-up (just as an Archer Push-Up is a push-up done on rings where one arm does a straight arm bodyweight fly and the other does a regular push-up).

What you are are referring to sounds more like what I always knew as "typewriter pull-ups" or "Spider-Man pull-ups", which are several magnitudes or difficulty easier. But maybe my terminology is off (FTR, I got the term "Archer push-ups/pull-ups/dips from Jordan Jovchev's ring DVD he put out years back, so maybe his vocab was just different).

William
Keegan said:

I must be using a different nomenclature than you guys as I always defined Archer Pull-Ups as essentially a pull-up done on rings where one side does essentially a straight arm pull to cross position and the other side does a regular bent arm pull-up (just as an Archer Push-Up is a push-up done on rings where one arm does a straight arm bodyweight fly and the other does a regular push-up).

What you are are referring to sounds more like what I always knew as "typewriter pull-ups" or "Spider-Man pull-ups", which are several magnitudes or difficulty easier. But maybe my terminology is off (FTR, I got the term "Archer push-ups/pull-ups/dips from Jordan Jovchev's ring DVD he put out years back, so maybe his vocab was just different).

i just know the same archer pull ups as you :)

KibboKift
William said:

i just know the same archer pull ups as you :)

In that case that's very impressive. If I understand it correctly you would have to pull out of a dead hang with one arm. The other arm provides no assistance in the bottom position since it is vertical and must remain straight. As you ascend, the straight arm's contribution increases progressively as it becomes more horizontal. Even so, its an assisted OAC with not very much assistance.

 

How are you finding RC PE5 William?

William
KibboKift said:

In that case that's very impressive. If I understand it correctly you would have to pull out of a dead hang with one arm. The other arm provides no assistance in the bottom position since it is vertical and must remain straight. As you ascend, the straight arm's contribution increases progressively as it becomes more horizontal. Even so, its an assisted OAC with not very much assistance.

 

How are you finding RC PE5 William?

Yeah one year ago before F1 my pulls have been my strongest element. long time ago haha, now i'm on last cycle of RC PE6, but i will do it in this cycle i guess :)

 

PE 5 bulgarian rows? have been quite easy, but actually a hard exercise because its a very different exercise to normal rows, but i did them before on rings, so i had the movement patterns already hehe

 

But i don't want to rush RC Progressions because i had some issue with my tendons left elbow, so i will be patient this time!

Jon Douglas

I've been plugging away at F4 RC. Low reps, high load, 2ce a week.

Tried slow muscle ups today for the first time since the WoDs. Got 8 before my false grip slipped out. They feel like pullups :D

Keegan
William said:

i just know the same archer pull ups as you :)

Ok cool, then at least I'm not way off on my terminology. I just read Kingzlo's post and thought you guys were talking about a different exercise. :-)

Keegan

That's awesome Jon! Looking forward to being at that point someday myself. :-)

Jon Douglas
Keegan said:

That's awesome Jon! Looking forward to being at that point someday myself. :-)

The cool thing is that I was fine to keep going with them, because the time dipping was resting the pullup portion, and the time pulling was resting the push.  I have barely trained false grip for the past year, so I am pleased but unsurprised it was my weak link :)

Keegan

Makes sense. Nice to see that all of the earlier RC and HBP elements have seemed to make the transition fairly easy for you though. I know that was always the toughest part of me when I used to do them.

IcedDante
Jon Douglas said:

I've been plugging away at F4 RC. Low reps, high load, 2ce a week.

Tried slow muscle ups today for the first time since the WoDs. Got 8 before my false grip slipped out. They feel like pullups :D

Wow! Could you do muscle ups before Foundation?

Jon Douglas
IcedDante said:

Wow! Could you do muscle ups before Foundation?

Yes, but not nearly this well or easily, and I could count on one hand the mu reps I've done between that and f1 release :)

Daniel Burnham
Jon Douglas said:

I've been plugging away at F4 RC. Low reps, high load, 2ce a week.

Tried slow muscle ups today for the first time since the WoDs. Got 8 before my false grip slipped out. They feel like pullups :D

I've been trying to tell everyone this but no one believed me. Glad you can back me up. Once you are strong muscle ups are about the same as pullup difficulty.

Jon Douglas
Daniel Burnham said:

I've been trying to tell everyone this but no one believed me. Glad you can back me up. Once you are strong muscle ups are about the same as pullup difficulty.

No one believes you because you are too strong :P

In their way I may actually find them easier than straight pullup sets as I mentioned above--- during the dip my pulling is rested, and during the pull my pressing rests. I venture that forearm/grip endurance will be the limiting factor into quite high-rep sets.

 

Edit;

Please excuse my misspeak. There is no such thing as 'too strong'

Alan Tseng
Daniel Burnham said:

I've been trying to tell everyone this but no one believed me. Glad you can back me up. Once you are strong muscle ups are about the same as pullup difficulty.

What's harder?  Bar muscle-ups or rings

Daniel Burnham
alan tseng said:

What's harder?  Bar muscle-ups or rings

For me bar is harder. I rarely do muscle ups on the bar.