I have a three "basic strength" questions that really confuse me at the moment!
I read everywhere on this page, that 5x5 is kind of a mastery for exercises. Once you can do this amount, you should progress to the next step, shorten the rest in between sets, etc. to create new stimuli.
1) So I was wondering what the difference between 5x5 pull-ups and 3x10 would be? If you can do 5x5 reps of an exercise, will you be able to do one single set of half of them in one set? In this case about 12 pull-ups in a row?
2) Is there a necessity to train things like hollow rocks, toe touches, V-ups, planks etc if you can do leg lifts already? Let's say you can do 5x5 leg lifts, should you still go for other exercises? Or is it enough to train leg lifts and will you always be able to knock out lots of hollow rocks because leg lifts are actually harder?
I am asking because I want to get stronger with the help of specific strength work to help my tumbling and martial arts training. I am not aiming for "big skills" like iron cross, planche etc.
But I do want to be good at the basic stuff like leg lifts, pull-ups, handstand push-ups and single leg squats.
For example let's take handstand push-ups.
3) I want to get strong in my shoulders and chest through push-ups and want to master the handstand push-up. Should I aim for 5x5 or 3x10?
Will it make me automatically stronger in normal push-ups or pseudo planche push-ups? Once I can do 5x5 or 3x10 handstand push-ups - should I do only those in my daily workout or should I add normal push-ups and pseduo planche push-ups?
Hope someone can help me here!