Hey everyone.
I have a few questions I hope some of you can help me out with. I have had meniscus surgery on my lateral meniscus and the doctors removed almost half of it. I have been told to be cautious of deep knee bends etc. However, I have had other people tell me that connective tissue and previous injuries can be more or less rehabbed completely, given enough time and attention.
I am afraid of trying to work on the SLS elements, due to my history and a slight feeling of pain in the back of my knee when I am not properly warmed up. I'd appreciate someones input on this, Obviously I'd like to continue the progressions, but not if it will potentially be counter productive in terms of long term health etc.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Continuing SLS despite my problems?
Started by Jukkaboy, May 25, 2014 · 13 Replies · 294 Views
Counter productive could be high impact or rebounce.
i've torn my ACL and removed the medial meniscus, I cannot completely bend my right legs under the bodyweight. since you health comes first, listen to your body. push the body limit over the pain is not reasonable.
Alright, I guess pistols are out then, because they really do hurt:/
Alex, do you or anyone else lurking this thread have any other ideas of what I could do to at least maintain/build some leg strength until my leg is rehabbed(hopefully).
Can you do speed skater squats without bending your front leg too much?
Not without bending my front leg too much no, not really, however they don't cause the discomfort that the full knee compression of the pistol does.
You could try doing it off of a support for your back leg, which should make it easier to keep your weight back more. Then lower the back support gradually as you can do them bending your front leg less. Keeping your weight further back also makes this move glute, as opposed to quad, dominant. So it's good for correct training as well, not just a work around for your injury.
That being said I don't have any training on what would be best with your injury, so be careful.
thecolin said:You could try doing it off of a support for your back leg, which should make it easier to keep your weight back more. Then lower the back support gradually as you can do them bending your front leg less. Keeping your weight further back also makes this move glute, as opposed to quad, dominant. So it's good for correct training as well, not just a work around for your injury.
That being said I don't have any training on what would be best with your injury, so be careful.
Just to be clear, are you referring to something like a bulgarian split squat, or like a step up/down. I was thinking about stepping up on a box and very carefully increase the height as time goes by, as a way of improving the ROM i can tolerate, eventually the box would be so high that it would almost mimic a pistol.
Jukkaboy said:Just to be clear, are you referring to something like a bulgarian split squat, or like a step up/down. I was thinking about stepping up on a box and very carefully increase the height as time goes by, as a way of improving the ROM i can tolerate, eventually the box would be so high that it would almost mimic a pistol.
What I was talking about was a regular speed skater squat, but instead of lowering your back leg onto the ground, lowering it onto a raised surface to you can keep your weight shifted as far back as possible so you don't bend the working leg too much, then gradually reducing the height of the surface.
But now that you mention them, I'm a big fan of bulgarian split squats as well. Step ups are good, but I find they mimic the knee position of a deep squat.
I had part of my medial miniscus removed about 20 years ago. That is now my good knee. I remember from my physical therapy doing a lot of hamstring work -- sitting in a chair with wheels and pulling myself along by the heels, leg curls, etc. -- and also leg extensions on a machine. Certainly the hamstring focused iMs will work that (I'm not there yet). I like the first few iMs to help develop the "other" knee muscles.
Did you have any sessions with a physical therapist post OP?
How long ago was the surgery?
Cole Dano said:Did you have any sessions with a physical therapist post OP?
How long ago was the surgery?
The surgery is 10 months ago now. Yes i worked with a PT, many actually, but none of them can figure out whats causing my problems. It's chronic pain unfortunately, walking for +15 min. makes my knee swollen and it hurts to bend/fully straighten it. Guess there no SLS work for me...
You absolutely need to respect your situation. Hopefully the PTs gave you some sort of rehab protocol that you can work with. For the time being that has to be your leg work.
Cole Dano said:You absolutely need to respect your situation. Hopefully the PTs gave you some sort of rehab protocol that you can work with. For the time being that has to be your leg work.
Yeah, quater sqauts and hamstring work. Actually these sliding hamstring curls provide relief from the pain:)
Great, something along those lines would be my Rx as well. I know 10 months seems like a long time but complete healing can take a year or more so most likely you have nothing to worry about.
Follow your PTs advice and gently start working ROM. One way to to use a Thearband or equivalent lying on your back wrap the band around your foot. Tuck the knee into your chest as deep as comfortable and then press the leg straight against the resistance of the band.