This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE4 flattening lower back issue

Started by Adriano Augusto, May 24, 2014 · 9 Replies · 534 Views

Adriano Augusto

Curious, is the first time that I've a problem with a PE instead of a iM in HS1

 

The thing is. 

 

This is my lower back with the legs little bit straddle (not to wide) and straight.

 

wijix.png

 

And this is when I put my legs together and I push hard my belly to the spine and contract glutes/abs.

 

33jkefr.png

 

I won't say the excuse about my funny ass with his Supreme Anterior Pelvic Tilt, even so I have a good Posterior Pelvic Tilt, but seems that not too much. 

 

It's true that I've my coccyx tilted out and it's difficult put all the lumbar spine flatted in the floor, but it' also true that with a litle straddle it does.

 

So, my job is stretching stretching and more stretching till all will be at the floor? Or this little space doesn't really matter due to my construction?

 

Thanks in advance!

 

P.S: The iM goes well, thanks :D

Alessandro Mainente

when the legs are straddled of a bit (also less then 90°)  the vertical distance between hip and feet decreases as your spread your legs. if the hips flexors are quite tight (due to hll or manna work) the body compensates with lower back arched. on the other side as you spread the legs wide the anterior hips flexor work decrease since you are decreasing the leverage of the legs. (see the pics, with the arrow i underline the difference in therms of leverage length) .

 

post-1151-0-80891100-1400936073_thumb.pn

 

try with some psoas stretching. it will fix it.

then i would at some respiratory exercise to flat the lower belly against the lumbar spine (gironda's vacuum)

Ant11
alex87 said:

try with some psoas stretching. it will fix it.

then i would at some respiratory exercise to flat the lower belly against the lumbar spine (gironda's vacuum)

 

Agree with Alex re: the respiratory exercises, It made a huge difference for me.  I had the exact same problem as you, I'm not on PE4 but that actual move was one of the test I was doing at the time.  Basically I was a chest breather and had to learn to breath correctly through my diaphragm and breath through the stomach.  As soon as I started breathing correctly my psoas loosened and I had instant control of my lower back, my squat became deeper and I was more powerful through the hips.   

dritar

The gironda vacuum is a great suggestion. I feel this exercise is kinda similar to the FL/PEs albeit at less intensity.

 

You could try starting with a narrow straddle and getting narrower or bending your legs a bit and progressively straightening them.

Markus Klein

I think the main problems are a tight psoas an maybe tight rectus femoris (quads).
I suppose to stretch these areas and to look how it goes.

Mark Collins
Adriano Augusto said:

It's true that I've my coccyx tilted out and it's difficult put all the lumbar spine flatted in the floor, but it' also true that with a litle straddle it does.

So, my job is stretching stretching and more stretching till all will be at the floor? Or this little space doesn't really matter due to my construction?

Thanks in advance!

P.S: The iM goes well, thanks :D

Welcome to mine and Keilani's world. I could fit my arm under my back due to my lordosis. It will improve with lots of work stretching the anterior hip. You may need to unleash the ball or stick in psoas ;) to really loosen the deeper fibres of thee psoas. It has so many fascicles that won't stretch. Stubborn things!
Keilani Gutierrez

yeah, it's super annoying.

Adriano Augusto

Guys, really thank you for the suggestions and opinions. Very helpful taking into account that I'm still very excited to my recent progress with HS1.

 

Today, Saturday, it's not my HS1 day, but I decided to stretch and train HS/PE4 without too much stress because I didn't do any shoulder thing. 

 

This is the result from today, after a stretching sesion targetting hip flexors (yoga asanas), internal/external hip rotators (weighted swivel hips), abs and glutes; above all hip flexors.

 

Legs together and straight, toe point, compressed abs till my max.

 

zmxtdz.jpg

 

Still a little off the ground. Sometimes I touch the floor, but it's not steady yet. But I think in a week or two this will be easy if I keep stretching.

 

I have been almost a year with an iM (iM2), but now I will destroy this PE.

 

Thanks to all and yes, STRETCHING, STRETCHING, STRETCHING!

tom040287

Hi Adriano, would you be willing to go into what yoga poses and stretches helped you with this?

On a side note how are your planche leans and PPP's coming along? Your threads on them in the foundation forum are of great benefit to me in working toward perfect form.

All the best

Tom

paleoyard

Hey guys, i'm having the same issue but 10 times worse. Can this be resolved? I feel like I'm not gaining any ground even though I'm making good efforts towards PPV. My lower back just doesn't seem to straighten out whatsoever. If I'm laying on the floor I will have a huge arch my lower back. The only way to get it down it's to lift my feet At least 12 inches off the ground. Any other suggestions besides what was already said on here?

post-12262-0-47986100-1438918597_thumb.j

post-12262-0-61722800-1438918607_thumb.j

post-12262-0-80210900-1438919042_thumb.j