This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Workout Cycle for PE1's After Week 12 ?

Started by Mike71, May 22, 2014 · 5 Replies · 175 Views

Mike71

I am on a 4 day workout cycle (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri) and currently performing week 12 which is a deload week (i.e. 5 sets x 8 reps for each PE1).   At week 11, I was not at mastery for any of the PE1’s although I was able to perform the required number of reps for mastery for some of the PE1’s.


 


HBP/PE1 (Incline Press) is the only PE1 I am close to mastery.  How should I proceed going forward in week 13?  For example, do I continue to perform 5 sets of 15 reps for SLS/PE1 (Deck Squats) and MN/PE1 (Tuck Ups) for every workout until I test for mastery?  Or do I roll back and begin at lower reps?


 


Here is my log for my last workout of week 11.   Also, I perform each PE1 with the only rest time between sets being the time it takes for me to complete the related iM. 


 


Thanks!


 


Mike


 


 


1.) MN/PE1 (Tuck Ups) / 15-15-15-15-15


 


Compression in Tuck Ups and Windmill ROM are holding me back from mastery.


 


 


2.) SLS/PE1 (Deck Squats) / 15-15-15-15-15


 


Endurance is holding me back.  Longer pauses between reps are required as my legs fatigue.


 


 


3.) SL/PE1 (Arch Body Hold) / 24s-24s-24s-24s-24s


 


ROM and required time per set are holding me back from mastery here.


 


 


4.) RC/PE1 (Hinge Rows) / 10-8-5-6-6


 


Strength is holding me back.  Ten reps of Hinge Rows is the most I have been able to do for any set. 


 


 


5.) HBP/PE1 (Incline Push Ups) / 15-15-15-15-15


 


I feel that sets four and five need to feel easier before I move onto HBP/PE2.  My triceps and shoulders are burning in sets four and five unlike in sets one and two.


 


 


6.) sPL/PE1 (Scapular Shrugs) / 15-15-15-15-15


 


I feel my ROM is not the same as the athlete in the video.


 


 


7.) FL/PE1 (Bent Hollow Body Hold) / 60s-40s-30s-35s-40s


 


Not even close to hitting mastery time of 60s x 5 sets.


Michael Taylor

Each 12 week cycle is broken down into 3 blocks of 4 weeks

In an ideal run, you would progress through 12 weeks, master the exercise and move on to the next.

Usually, you will stall out somewhere on one or more elements.

The simple solution is to roll back and repeat that 4 week cycle after your deload week (ie weeks 9-12). Do this as well for those elements that you reach the rep totals for, but form or tempo are not sustainable over the 5 sets (think of this as polishing up the element for mastery)

It may be appropriate to repeat weeks 5-8, or even 1-4, depending on where you stall out.

Also, it is possible to tinker with the reps on a particular block to allow smaller and more sustainable progression (eg increases of 6 sec/reps per week instead of 12)

One more thing - HBP/PE1. If you are waiting for the exercise to no longer feel uncomfortable, you will never progress! If form and tempo are good and there are no extra sneaky rest periods, move on! If you were to try the element at a later date, you would undoubtably find it more comfortable then, but you have mastered it already. HBP/PE2 is waiting for you...

Michael Taylor

Oh, also the iM must be mastered as well! :-)

Mike71
Michael Taylor said:

Each 12 week cycle is broken down into 3 blocks of 4 weeks

In an ideal run, you would progress through 12 weeks, master the exercise and move on to the next.

Usually, you will stall out somewhere on one or more elements.

The simple solution is to roll back and repeat that 4 week cycle after your deload week (ie weeks 9-12). Do this as well for those elements that you reach the rep totals for, but form or tempo are not sustainable over the 5 sets (think of this as polishing up the element for mastery)

It may be appropriate to repeat weeks 5-8, or even 1-4, depending on where you stall out.

Also, it is possible to tinker with the reps on a particular block to allow smaller and more sustainable progression (eg increases of 6 sec/reps per week instead of 12)

One more thing - HBP/PE1. If you are waiting for the exercise to no longer feel uncomfortable, you will never progress! If form and tempo are good and there are no extra sneaky rest periods, move on! If you were to try the element at a later date, you would undoubtably find it more comfortable then, but you have mastered it already. HBP/PE2 is waiting for you...

 

Thanks for clarifying!  

 

Michael Taylor said:

Oh, also the iM must be mastered as well! :-)

 

Agreed, which is why Tuck Ups might take me a little longer due to lack of Windmill ROM.   However, I am not complaining as I find Windmills to be an excellent mobility for my shoulders, lower back, and hamstrings.  This is a great mobility in my opinion.  While I don't have the Windmill ROM mastered yet, I do feel the improvements in my hamstring flexibility and shoulder joint mobility.

 

Also, let's say I have the PE mastered (required reps with tempo and form )but not the iM.  Would I still roll back a block like you mentioned above and repeat the previous 4 week cycle?

 

Thanks!

 

 

Mike

Michael Taylor

"Also, let's say I have the PE mastered (required reps with tempo and form )but not the iM. Would I still roll back a block like you mentioned above and repeat the previous 4 week cycle?"

Coach Sommer has said previously that this is his preferred option in these circumstances

Fede HD

Correct. You can either repeat the 9-12 week block or even repeat just week 11 again until the iM is mastered.