This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE1 Head Position

Started by Mike71, May 22, 2014 · 7 Replies · 185 Views

Mike71

I finished week 11 of HS/PE1 performing tripod for 5 sets X 60 seconds.   I was reviewing the form from the course video and I just noticed that the athlete's head appears to be at different angle than what I have been doing.  It seems that the athlete has his head tilted with the upper part of his forehead touching the floor rather than the top of his head.   I am not sure if that is the angle of the camera or if that is the way I must position my head.   I have compared to some of the form check videos and no one else seems to have their weight supported on their upper forehead either.  Is this just a matter of preference? Thanks.


 


Mike


 


 


 


jvenna

You can use whatever position for your head that feels most comfortable.

Matthew Hanham

I think Coach has said that head position should be such that you can just see your thumbs in a hand stand (and particularly for press handstand).  I think that's to encourage good thoracic and cervical spinal alignment. It made sense to me to try to do the same in a headstand.  Compare the head positions in the photos for PE2 and SE4.

TANSTAAFL
jvenna said:

You can use whatever position for your head that feels most comfortable.

This.
Mike71

Thanks guys.  Then I am on the right on track.  What a great feeling it is to see the improvements from week 1 compared to now.  In week 1 I could not imagine being able to perform 5 sets times 60 seconds.  My elbows and shoulders would ache after tripod in the beginning weeks.  Now they feel great! 

howens

Coach Sommer

26 Mar 2013

My personal preference is for the crown of the head (the corner of the skull just above the hairline). Although you may use the very top of the head if you find this more comfortable.

If all goes well however, this will soon be a moot point as you move past the HeS section of H1. :)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mike71
howens said:

Coach Sommer

26 Mar 2013

My personal preference is for the crown of the head (the corner of the skull just above the hairline). Although you may use the very top of the head if you find this more comfortable.

If all goes well however, this will soon be a moot point as you move past the HeS section of H1. :)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Thanks for posting this.  I did try the crown of the head as described above but that was not comfortable on my neck.  It seems the athlete in the video is using the crown of his head.  I agree that this will be moot once I move past the HS/PE's that require head support.

thecolin

Just make sure that you're actively pulling your shoulders down towards your feet so your weight doesn't collapse onto your neck in to an awkward position (the opposite shoulder position of a handstand). If you focus on that your neck should be fine regardless of where you place your head.