Wrist Pain. Complete Rest or Mobility?

Started by JonasTrainWill, May 21, 2014 · 3 Replies · 4,166 Views

JonasTrainWill

Hey there,

My left wrist is hurting for 2 weeks now, due to intensive stretches of my wrist flexors to cure some elbow problems.

I probably went too far in the end range of my mobility, probably the little bones of my wrists "got crushed together" to hard and seem to be a bit of inflamed.

The pain went on and off, off when doing nothing, on when trying to do some wrist mobility floor work. maybe i stretched too far again, not for my mobility, but for my bony structures who maybe got re-injured/inflamed whatever...
 

Should i do mobility in such a case or not? I mean, complete rest is never advised of wise guys like Mr. Sommer or Mr. Portal or other guys who are into movement and have some extensive background knowledge about human Anatomy & Physiology.
(also ido portal recommended movement to heal injuries in his latest interview he gave).

So i wanted to ask you if mobility/ movement is advised ( i think the answer i YES, it is) but much rather i would like to know what type of stuff to do, since light stretching on a pillow on a floor ( very, very, light!) seems to make problems ?

Tell me, thanks , yours 

Jonas :)

Joshua Slocum

Yes, light movements. Avoid anything that causes pain. 

Justin Goodhart
Joshua Slocum said:

Yes, light movements. Avoid anything that causes pain. 

Agreed. Maybe play with some novel wrist/elbow movements (here's a good video)

When my wrists are particularly sore I sleep with sweat bands on for a bit of compression, increased temperature/blood flow, which seems to help. (link here)

I'll also apply a topical herbal ointment which works well too. (link here)

With nutrition, I increase my fish oil intake and increase my intake of turmeric/black pepper as well. This is the recipe I use

 

Turmeric has some amazing anti-inflammatory, and muscle regenerating properties. I'm happy to provide links to studies if you'd like.

 

Hope that helps

Edit: I sprained my right wrist in a fall a couple months ago and these all helped me tremendously. As Coach Sommer has said, tendons just take longer to heal, but we can help the process along with good lifestyle, active recovery, and nutrition components. 

- Justin

Destiny

My job involves lifting lots of heavy boxes and objects. It's somehow caused my wrists lots of pain. While working it's nothing too noticeable but once I stop I start to really feel it. It hurts to stretch it and I can't even do push ups anymore without fighting through the pain. Also my fingers hurt when I bend them the same way if you've ever jammed a finger and its healed slightly. 

 

So basically how should I rehab my wrist? Quitting the job is out of the question as is taking a two week leave or any leave for that matter. Maybe wear a wrist wrap and hope it heals enough to start strengthening it again? I have been following the wrist and finger work in H1 up until the injuries so it kind of surprised me that this happened. I haven't heard any co-workers complain about this pain but I haven't asked.