Just making sure my front lever is correct. My arms are completely locked and everything else seems right but just wanna make sure. Thanks
Front Lever Check
Started by Frahebede, May 21, 2014 · 13 Replies · 2,131 Views
Looks pretty good for me. Point your toes.
Retract and depress your scapula not protract and depress.
It is hard to tell if your holding hollow body position in some of the clips.
Point your feet.
(Youtube video) Yaad Mohammad's Front Lever Tutorial
GoldenEagle said:Retract and depress your scapula not protract and depress.
It is hard to tell if your holding hollow body position in some of the clips.
Point your feet.
(Youtube video) Yaad Mohammad's Front Lever Tutorial
Actually I read multiple posts on here that you are not supposed to retract your scapulae in a front lever but keep it in a neutral position. I've never seen a fully retracted front lever, ever. I'm quite positive that I have hollow body in all of them as I always make sure before I go into one. And I don't point my toes anymore because it looks way cooler when you lift your toes back a bit so its pointing straight up lol
The correct scapula position for FL is neutral shoulders, but you have to retract some to get there otherwise you will be protracted. I think you are a little off neutral by being too protracted, so retract a bit more to get there. I think your arms still might not be locked or at least locked throughout the entire time because it looks like your elbows bend and extend very little throughout and your forearm elbow flexors seem to be tensed which is a sign that you are bending your elbows.
B1214N said:The correct scapula position for FL is neutral shoulders, but you have to retract some to get there otherwise you will be protracted. I think you are a little off neutral by being too protracted, so retract a bit more to get there. I think your arms still might not be locked or at least locked throughout the entire time because it looks like your elbows bend and extend very little throughout and your forearm elbow flexors seem to be tensed which is a sign that you are bending your elbows.
Ok ill try to retract a bit more I guess and my arms are locked, trust me lol. I could not lock my arms out any more if I tried, I twist my arms outwards as hard as I can so I couldn't straighten them anymore than that. If I did fl pull ups before holding it tho then it may not be locked completely but when I just go into a basic front lever hold they're always locked.
I thought about that possibility, but I'll trust you. What do you mean by twisting your arm outward? Do you mean trying to rotate your hands on the bar like trying to snap it. How did you train that hopping grip switch transition at 0:14? I want to learn that, but am afraid of missing and falling lol.
B1214N said:I thought about that possibility, but I'll trust you. What do you mean by twisting your arm outward? Do you mean trying to rotate your hands on the bar like trying to snap it. How did you train that hopping grip switch transition at 0:14? I want to learn that, but am afraid of missing and falling lol.
Yeah I rotate my hands outwards like trying to snap it and that turns the elbow pits sideways to face each other. And for the move at 0:14 I just kinda tried it once randomly at a gymnastics gym so there were pads beneath me if I fell and I did it. It really isn't too hard of a move, you just gotta commit to it. You should definitely try it first in a gym and get comfortable before you do it outside though
Thanks! How does that cue work out for you like what does that help activate? I know of another cue that is borrowed from powerlifting where you try to pull the bar apart which helps with retraction which I sometimes use, but I don't really need it. You can give that one a try too.
Frahebede said:I don't point my toes anymore because it looks way cooler when you lift your toes back a bit so its pointing straight up.
Okay. Everyone can have their opinion. You asked for a form check. Proper form includes pointing your feet. If you want to do street workout form be my guest.
B1214N said:Thanks! How does that cue work out for you like what does that help activate? I know of another cue that is borrowed from powerlifting where you try to pull the bar apart which helps with retraction which I sometimes use, but I don't really need it. You can give that one a try too.
It actually makes it a lot harder when you turn your hands out lol, I only do it to help me straighten my arms completely otherwise I can't get them straight. Thanks man I'll try that out next time and see if I can retract more.
GoldenEagle said:Okay. Everyone can have their opinion. You asked for a form check. Proper form includes pointing your feet. If you want to do street workout form be my guest.
True, I probably should have said that earlier. This is not "street workout form" though lol i've only seen a couple of street workout athletes do it this way, most of them actually point their toes. I just prefer to do it this way as I think its more aesthetically pleasing.
Frahebede said:True, I probably should have said that earlier. This is not "street workout form" though lol i've only seen a couple of street workout athletes do it this way, most of them actually point their toes. I just prefer to do it this way as I think its more aesthetically pleasing.
In the realm of competitive gymnastics the FIG(Federation of International Gymnastics) standards are what Coach Sommer teaches. FIG standards are also used for form checks.
As I have stated we are all allowed to have our opinions.
If you want your form checked be ready to have it compared to FIG standards.
B1214N said:The correct scapula position for FL is neutral shoulders, but you have to retract some to get there otherwise you will be protracted. I think you are a little off neutral by being too protracted, so retract a bit more to get there. I think your arms still might not be locked or at least locked throughout the entire time because it looks like your elbows bend and extend very little throughout and your forearm elbow flexors seem to be tensed which is a sign that you are bending your elbows.
I know that PPT takes strain of the lower back, but what's the purpose of scapular retraction in FL? is it only to strengthen the scapula retractors or will it avoid any injury? Is it aesthetics also?