This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE1 concerns

Started by Shnordle, May 20, 2014 · 11 Replies · 536 Views

Shnordle

Can anyone shed some light on the compressive/shear forces acting on the lumbar spine during this exercise? I've been doing some research into the related bio-mechanics and the torque moments acting on the facet joints. Is this a safe exercise?

Joshua Slocum

One thing to note is that this exercise should not be performed by arching the lower back. You want to activate the glutes (to extend the hips) and upper back. While the lower back muscles will have to work to support this pose, the lumbar spine itself is in a safe configuration. A healthy individual should have no problems with this exercise.

I do not have the kinesthetic knowledge to explain why it is safe, however.

Joshua Slocum

Interesting article. If you read the author's recommendations, they're almost all covered by Foundation:

 

- arch through the upper back/hips rather than lower back 

- limit total volume of arched work (only F1 has exercises which load the lower back to this degree; after that you're only occasionally doing them in your warmup).

- teach athletes to utilize the hips, upper spine and shoulders

- perform exercises to activate the glutes

- regular prehab for hip/middle spine mobility

 

Bottom line: 15-20 years of heavy tumbling and grueling conditioning might give you lower back problems, but developing a reasonably strong arch hold shouldn't concern you unless you're already at risk for back problems. 

The Hansenator

If you have back pain, I would check into your glute activation. That was my problem anyway. Due to my lazy glutes, I have to really make sure they're turning on or my back will hurt.

Duff

I find ABH an exellent exercise; If I do it wrong, my back hurts. It's pretty much self correcting. You're only in danger of getting injured if you don't do it right.

Keegan

That article that meras linked to pretty much states exactly what Joshua, Coach and the F series stresses. You need to extend through the hips (activate the glutes), extend the Thoracic spine, and actively flex the shoulders with this exercise, not just extend the lumbar spine. In other words it is a supported arch, not an unsupported arch which only extends from and activates the lumbar spine.

Mark Collins

We all wish it was unsafe so we could skip it and arch rocks! Unfortunately it is safe and when done correctly it is beneficial for the back.

Shnordle

Thanks for the feedback guys. My firing sequence is a bit off, so definitely something I need to work on. I think these details should be included in the exercise description for all of Coach's exercises. I am finding I have to do a lot of extra searching/reading to find the correct form/muscle firing sequence in order to do some of these exercises safely and properly. 

Keegan
Shnordle said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. My firing sequence is a bit off, so definitely something I need to work on. I think these details should be included in the exercise description for all of Coach's exercises. I am finding I have to do a lot of extra searching/reading to find the correct form/muscle firing sequence in order to do some of these exercises safely and properly.

I hear you, but that is part of the learning process and something that is much better served by the forum than the course itself.

Just think if Coach put every single little detail for every PE/SE and iM how much longer it would have been to release the courses, how much slower the courses would load (or how much larger the files would have been in the original reader format), and how confused we would all be if we had 20 different form cues about every possible muscle to engage, or not engage, or detail about the exercises while trying to learn them.

Instead the most pertinent points are given, along with a video for us to compare the videos of ourselves which we should be taking to check out form, and a forum where people can come to ask questions or learn more should we run into issues that we need help with.

Shnordle
Keegan said:

I hear you, but that is part of the learning process and something that is much better served by the forum than the course itself.

Just think if Coach put every single little detail for every PE/SE and iM how much longer it would have been to release the courses, how much slower the courses would load (or how much larger the files would have been in the original reader format), and how confused we would all be if we had 20 different form cues about every possible muscle to engage, or not engage, or detail about the exercises while trying to learn them.

Instead the most pertinent points are given, along with a video for us to compare the videos of ourselves which we should be taking to check out form, and a forum where people can come to ask questions or learn more should we run into issues that we need help with.

Some good points Keegan. This forum is extremely helpful and supportive.

Damon Amato

I've had several conversations with Stuart McGill about this specifically.  He's seen the spine under live MRI and I can tell you that your facet joints are in fine placement during ABH.  If you were doing this while standing and holding a barbell, different story.