This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to progress on the planche lean

Started by Spphysio, May 19, 2014 · 6 Replies · 348 Views

Spphysio

What is the best way to progress on the planche lean:

 

1) Start from week 1 and achieve mastery at a certain lean and then start again at week 1 with the new lean?

 

2) Start from week 1 and repeat weeks 1-3 untill you have the lean acceptable for mastery and then work towards mastery (from an endurance standpoint) ?

 

3) Repeat many mincycles of week 5 - week 8 untill you have the lean acceptable for mastery and then work towards mastery (from an endurance standpoint) ?

ausswe

I was personally thinking of building my lean by repeating the first mini cycle over and over until I have acceptable lean. The way I see it is build strength in the right position before building endurance.

Joshua Slocum
ausswe said:

I was personally thinking of building my lean by repeating the first mini cycle over and over until I have acceptable lean. The way I see it is build strength in the right position before building endurance.

This is the way to do it. If you have trouble performing a movement with perfect form, it's usually best to work towards perfect form while keeping the volume low, rather than increasing volume first and working on form second. 

Murray Truelove

I start these this week. Good to hear everyones comments.

Mark Collins

I have tried both ways. I got to 5x18 seconds and then how to go back to the first cycle to get the correct position. In hindsight I should have went for full ROM as it is frustrating to go back in the cycle.

Niklas03

When I first started working on planche leans I cycled weeks 1-4 and tried to increase the lean after every deload. However, I wasn't making much progress after a certain period. Even though I had a mirror next to me on every set, when I later filmed a quick form check, my form wasn't satisfactory. The lean was there, but it lacked everything else. Also, my wrists were near their max on every set and I wasn't able press out from the hold like in the video. The tension release after every set would cause a smallish pinch in my left shoulder. My wrists weren't liking it, either.

 

That approach wasn't working for me, so I dialed the lean way down and went 5x30s. Much more comfortable and it gave me a chance to lock in the form. Thinking of shuffling between PE5 to PE6, as suggested in another thread, and then increasing the lean slightly and dropping the hold times. 

 

Summa summarum, I was going too heavy and wasn't listening to my body. Now I'm making haste slowly.

Cole Dano

In these situations I generally will work where I'm at adding volume as normal until a clear breakthrough happens ( e.g. I find I have more lean naturally). At this point I drop back to Block 1. If the breakthrough doesn't happen then I go to week 12 and add any amount more rom the next cycle.

Essentially the same idea as Niklas'. Add volume then back off and add load.