This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Middle split hold

Started by Jon Douglas, May 19, 2014 · 4 Replies · 338 Views

Jon Douglas

Hi hi,

I'm not sure about the positioning in MSH. Do the scaps need to be fully retracted/depressed before you transfer the weight to your hands? Or is it sufficient to be 'somewhat' retracted, or closer to neutral as long as no protraction occurs?

I am finding the balance very difficult if I try to fully retract first, but with my shoulders closer to neutral its much easier to push my hips in front of my hands. If someone could clarify please I would appreciate it :)

 

Jon

BMJD

I use the cues for the L sit in this one (cannot be certain that it is the correct one), it helped me with clearing the hips of the hands . Depressed and open chest before I think of pushing my hips forward. 

 

From what I guess and tried so far, it's as I push my hips forward then do I start to think of retracting the shoulders.

Jon Douglas
BMJD said:

 as I push my hips forward then do I start to think of retracting the shoulders.

Yes, this is what I have been doing so far too. In the demo videos it also doesn't seem like they are fully retracted until horizontal or higher. Like they retract as a function of extending so far.

Jon Douglas

Bump?

Would like peace of mind here please :)

Daniel Burnham

Try to retract as much as you can it will really help when you start to load the triceps as you pull the legs over the body.