Chin up question

Started by Zidane, May 14, 2009 · 4 Replies · 2,684 Views

Zidane

Hi, I just wanted to ask: how good are neutral grip chiun-ups? The ones where the palms face each other. I have some parallel bars where I can only do them like shoulder-width.

And also, how good are they compared to pullups and regular chin-ups? Are they worth doing? Thanks.

Zidane

Note: when I asked "are they worth doing", I was still referring to neutral grip chinups, not pullups and chinups.

Blairbob

Good enough. Can't really practice the wide arm or bulgarian style pullups with them.

When first doing pullups on rings, I teach my boys the neutral grip. The next step is doing them on a single rail and then chest to bar ( something I've added lately ). Position is hollow preferably but the weaker kids initiate with an arch.

Zidane
Blairbob said:
Good enough. Can't really practice the wide arm or bulgarian style pullups with them.

When first doing pullups on rings, I teach my boys the neutral grip. The next step is doing them on a single rail and then chest to bar ( something I've added lately ). Position is hollow preferably but the weaker kids initiate with an arch.

I don't have rings right now, all I've got are some parallel bars 6' feet tall, that are like shoulder width.

So you would say that they are worth doing then?

Basically right now my routine on the bars consists of 6 wide grip chinups, immediately followed by 7 dips, rest 30 seconds and do it again. I do 6 sets, so I do 36 chinups and 42 dips, that's my "set", then when I feel recovered enough, I do the same set, but this time with pullups. I do this as many times as I can throughout the day.

So I was asking if they were good enough, to decide wether or not to do them in these sets I do.

Do they work different muscles than pulls and chins do? Or do they work more other muscles? Thanks.

Hivoyer

They train your brachioradialis muscle more than the bicep and brachialis and i think they're easier for the forearms since the wrists are in such a position.