This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Quick question: Wall First Knuckle Walk - FKP/PE1

Started by Ross Guidici, May 18, 2014 · 10 Replies · 415 Views

Ross Guidici

Hi everyone! Good to be here. I'm 45 years old and can do a solid 13 second handstand, but I need more overall strength in connective tissues. I've just started "Handstand 1" and I have a question I would be grateful for an answer to:

 

The instructions say "The goal is to bend the first knuckles a full 90 degrees."  

I'm at about 45 degrees! Do I need to get mobile to the full 90 degrees before I move on? I only ask because the instructions say for the mobility exercises " Do not be concerned if your range of motion does not initially match that of the video. As you train this over one or more programming blocks, your body will naturally adapt."

 

Thanks a lot. And again, great to be here!

Adriano Augusto

Yes, you do :D

 

And it's not easy if you've got all your life videogames/PC hands. For example my left hand on this is at fully 90º since few months ago, but my right is holding my back... I'm right handed, maybe that's the reason. 

 

"Do not be concerned if your range of motion does not initially match that of the video."

 

But it has to. As you train.

TANSTAAFL

Keep in mind too it is 90 degrees measured on the back of the hand, you don't need bottom of your hand (i.e. palm) 90 to the wall. This originally kept me from moving on.

john_c
Adriano Augusto said:

Yes, you do :D

 

For example my left hand on this is at fully 90º since few months ago, but my right is holding my back... I'm right handed, maybe that's the reason. 

 

"Do not be concerned if your range of motion does not initially match that of the video."

 

But it has to. As you train.

Ah yes same here Adriano but I am left handed , but my right hand is my "mouse" hand. It's a bit frustrating because I have just moved on to PE4 on all the other wrist exercises. I am definitely getting there but it's slow going.
wheezer

I'm on SE2 with all other exercises and still working for that 90 degrees. Although, I'm doing FKP/PE3 because I find it much easier to stretch from the kneeling position.

 

Keep in mind you have all of H1 to get it. ;)

Ross Guidici

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all your feedback. Will continue training. Thanks for having me here!

SLY

Damn, and I thought I am the only one with this stiff like a wood syndrome... 

So it's possible to get this ROM since I thought the skin of my hand is the limiting factor.

 

Are you guys think it would be beneficial if you do this PE everyday a few times a day to get faster to this 90 degree flexibility?

Javier

First week on H1. This knuckle walk is going to be a tough one for ne too. I think my range of motion is about 15 degrees!

I went looking for a post that would give me an easy way out of this one, because I thought "this guy in the demo is not normal there is no way I'm going to get to ben my fingers backward like that. I guess I'll have to suck it up and work on getting that 90 degrees.

Sam Wan

Just started H1, and I was also concerned about FKP/PE1 (have 30-45 deg mobility)

From what I understand, the mobility will come eventually...(i hope? I'm 29... >.<)

So do I just keep working PE1 until the mobility develops to 90deg? (i.e. mastery 5x5r @ 90 deg) 

 

 

SLY said:

 

Are you guys think it would be beneficial if you do this PE everyday a few times a day to get faster to this 90 degree flexibility?

Would this help?

TANSTAAFL
Sam Wan said:

Would this help?

As long as you're not overdoing it (i.e. hand cramps/etc.) it should be fine to add a little more. More importantly I would probably add static hold stretches in this position from a kneeling position throughout the day. Also do this regularly.

Sam Wan

@Tanstaafl
thanks for the link :D