This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE1 Ephiphany

Started by Alan Tseng, May 17, 2014 · 8 Replies · 485 Views

Alan Tseng

Several weeks ago, I realized that Hinge Rows is a bodyweight cable face pull exercise.  Makes a lot more sense  thinking it as a prehab exercise rather than as a "rowing" exercise.

 

Cable face pull looks something like this:

 

 

Also, all the less reason to do rotator cuff external rotation exercises with dumbbells when you can do it with bodyweight

thecolin

I like to think of it as an assisted sit up.  :)

john_c

So, did it help you increase your numbers, break through a plateau ?

Alan Tseng

not yet, but it gives me more motivation after understanding the exercise more

john_c
thecolin said:

I like to think of it as an assisted sit up.  :)

Does that mean some of the movement comes through the core ?  As in a situp,  as I think it would make it a lot easier . I am doing as a pulling exercise and finding it a lot harder than I ever thought I would. Prior to starting F1 I could do 13 non kipping pull ups to chest with reasonable form. 

thecolin
tfeal said:

Does that mean some of the movement comes through the core ?  As in a situp,  as I think it would make it a lot easier . I am doing as a pulling exercise and finding it a lot harder than I ever thought I would. Prior to starting F1 I could do 13 non kipping pull ups to chest with reasonable form. 

 

Absolutely, it's a pulling exercise, but an assisted pulling exercise. Remember that it's only the first element. If you find PE1 harder than PE2-3 then I think it's definitely time to rethink your approach. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

 

This is my thought on it anyways, somebody may correct me.

john_c

I have just completed my F1a session with a new emphasis a la thecolin and rc/pe1 was a lot easier. I rewatched the course video and the athlete does seem to get a lot of power from the core/hips. Also I video'd myself the other day and noticed I was bending more from the lower back than the hips so it is all making a little more sense. In fact it's an epiphany !!

thecolin
tfeal said:

In fact it's an epiphany !!

 

Awesome, way to go!

mcneuen

Holy smokes.  Hmms, consciously thinking of face pulls (one of my favorites, weirdly) before starting totally changed everything.  Pop!  Right up.

 

Thanks so much.  Definite breakthrough on the groove for me.