This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

I need to understand this ( help )

Started by MrPuppeh, May 12, 2014 · 8 Replies · 385 Views

MrPuppeh

Hi !

 

I need to finally understand these things so I am asking for help. I am bothered by this question the last 1-2 years.

 

It is about the Foundation work + other sport supplementation work.

 

How much is an overload ? 

If I remember correctly then i read that some people used Foundation + weightlifting and had an overkill ( and scored an injury)

 

And i remember Coach saying that some people are trying to re-invent the wheel with their own program modifications, I did that myself and did an overkill and got an injury and was out of the game for quite a while.

 

I'm asking is - Are you guys doing anything other than Foundation + HS ? Ive also seen on forums people who say that they do nothing else but Foundation + HS and have very good results with it.

 

I did an overload with my training in the past because i thought more is better and big results come with big work, long hours of work etc etc.

 

But is an hour a day enough ( Doing Foundation +HS) to build up good Gymnastic strength and conditioning ?

 

What can I do more in addition to my Foundation and HS that wont hinder my progress and possibly increase my progress ?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Riku Calderón

Hour a day is plenty. Anything more is over I think.

 

You can corporate some skill based activity still. For me it is MMA and jiu jitsu. But it can be soccer or any sport.

 

Just have fun you know. If you do F + H and some cardio, there is not much more you can do for gains. Skills are exception.

MrPuppeh
Riku Calderón said:

Hour a day is plenty. Anything more is over I think.

 

You can corporate some skill based activity still. For me it is MMA and jiu jitsu. But it can be soccer or any sport.

 

Just have fun you know. If you do F + H and some cardio, there is not much more you can do for gains. Skills are exception.

Recently I was talking to a guy who said that he does 2-3 workouts a day, how can people withstand such loads and still make rapid progress? I found out that I can't do it. But my problem is that If there is Pushups ( PE2 ) then I want to do Dips and and some vertical pressing as well etc. Its like training 1 type of pressing versus training all 3 types of pressing. I guess I still need to learn patience and trust in Coach Sommers work, after all he's been preparing World class gymnastic athletes !

MT Nordic

I agree with the comment about not reinventing the wheel, but it also depends what your goals are.  If your goals are bodyweight strength pursuits and gymnastics, I would purely focus on GB and not reinvent the wheel.  If you're using GB as supplementary strength and movement workouts for another sport that is your primary focus, then obviously your progression will be slower and you will need to think more about your programming so you don't overtrain.  With max strength work, although it doesn't seem like a ton of work, it is very neurologically taxing and can overtrain you fairly quickly if you're not paying attention.

emilianop

I reckon overload is such a subjective attribute that you really can't decide "how many hours a day are good".

That's why in this program you get to chose from different scheduling presets so to test them all and find the one that fits your unique recovering rates.

 

I reckon the problem is slightly different: people think they can take more, always, no matter what... I guess it's a cultural thing, for some reason we think quantity is more valuable...

This often makes them training when the supercompensation curve didn't even start ramping back up, they got overtrained, they don't have the sensitivity to understand that and they start wondering why they don't progress.

I'm saying this because I've been there, more than once through the years, injuries happened and still I find hard to hit that soft spot.

While you do want to add up workouts, sometimes you need to curb your enthusiasm if you want for your investments to pay back.

After all it doesn't count how often you train, but how fast you get to the goal, if it means resting more, be it I'd say.

 

Once you're covered there I don't think it's a problem to workout more than one thing at a time

 

 

Devin Decoursey

People have already hit on this, but for a lot of people, "less is more." More precisely, the proper dose is optimal, but most of us will try to overdo it. For me, two sessions a week of all the elements (M/Th) in Foundation seems to be optimal. I am forced, by the nature of my job, to do more training, but if and when I have my way, I do the above plus HS1 on the off days following my Foundation work, and some additional, very VERY easy stretching, circuit training and cardio daily.

The optimal dose of exercise is going to be personal and based on a number of factors: genetics, training level, diet, sleep, stress, etc. you simply have to try one program consistently for a while (months), track your progress diligently, and compare the results. In the end Foundation and HS 1-2 a week are probably all you need, you may be able to add more, but as maolu pointed out, in a way it's about the progress, not the time spent training. Not that the journey itself isn't important, but you're training for a goal, not just working out for the sake of working out.

RJS

Agreed with everything said.

One thing that comes to mind is what Coach mentioned about Allens best training schedule being similar to the 4 day a week schedule, with days off meaning just that, zero training on days off.

I say if one of Coaches athletes does best with serious rest days, we, as much less conditioned normal folk, better be taking that seriously as well.

I really hope i cited that closely. Please correct if not Coach.

EDM

from my personal experience, days of total rest are always good.

many of us tend workout more, even just becauae is fun....however I always perform much better after a weekend spent doing nothing elsa than eating and sleeping!

also, once in a while a full week of rest might be good...

wheezer

Do as little as possible to get the fastest gains possible. :P

I find active recovery in the form of easy jogging extremely helpful.