Hello!
One of my goals is a nice straddle press handstand, maybe more in a row!
I always thought it's mostly core strength, but then I read a topic on a gymnastics forum!
"Technique, flexibility and strength are the key ingredients of getting the press handstand well. Usually a gymnast is not strong in their trapezius or tricep muscles when they fail at the press up from straddle to stand part in the press handstand. The traps and triceps get strong in gymnastics through the vertical line of a handstand. In weight training, they get strong by the military or dumbbell press.
What do you think about this?
I usually condition three times a week, doing normal push-ups and leg lifts etc.
We have a weight room not far from uni, so I decided to go there twice a week and to the exercises listed above and then some core work. The third day I am just doing "normal" push-ups and pull-ups, without weights.
I will do it for about 3 months now, and hopefully I am able to do 1 press handstand by then.
After I achieved this, can I stop the weight training and continue with doing just some press handstands every training?
Thanks in advance