Having the rings outside

Started by Joakim Anderson, May 11, 2009 · 2 Replies · 2,746 Views

Joakim Anderson

I have my rings installed outside, and taking them down after every workout would be a pain since I hang them from a balcony on another floor. So the easiest thing for me would be to let them hang outside all the time (under a roof in shelter of rain).

But I wonder how resistant the buckles are to rust. I wouldn't want an accident because of mistreating the rings. Does anyone have experience from having them constantly outdoors?

Joshua Naterman

DOn't worry about it, even if they do rust it won't affect the strength of the buckle. If you are really really crazy worried about it, just get a metal mesh bag full of magnesium or zinc and use metal to attach it to the buckle. The magnesium or zinc will corrode instead of the steel, and you'll never have to worry. Heck, you could be ghetto about it and use one of those magnesium/flint firestarters, put a little hole in the magnesium block and use metal cord to tightly tie it to the buckle.

Ideal Paradigm

I posted this exact questions when I purchased the rings back in the pre-sale. The rings are not meant to be left outside, this is what Coach Sommer told me directly in my thread. However, I'm guessing that if it's out of the rain, then it will be out of the sun as well (the sun is very damaging). I would recommend either taking them inside, or painting the buckles with some sort of latex/acrylic paint, with taking them inside being the safest option. I don't know how the straps would hold up if you constantly left them outside, I can only tell you that they will definitely last longer if you keep the straps inside.