This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder width grip Mandatory or Desirable?

Started by Ant11, May 10, 2014 · 20 Replies · 1,028 Views

Ant11

Hi all,

 

First time poster here, I have recently got H1 and am inspired by all of the progress and discussion in this forum.  I just wanted to clarify if you must have a shoulder width grip for each iM before moving onto the next progression??  I've searched around but can not find the answer.  

 

Some of the iM's it says a shoulder width grip is the ultimate goal but does not mention if it is mandatory?.  On mastery of PE1>iM a shoulder width grip is not mentioned, it only says you must be able to perform 10s correctly and with full ROM.  Should I progress if I can perform the movement correctly or keep working on it until I have achieved a shoulder width grip??

 

Thanks

Ant

TANSTAAFL

I believe the mastery width usually goes by demo vid. I am also under the impression that 'shoulder width' mastery for non dislocate items is around thumbs lined up with the outside of the deltoids. Please someone correct me if this is confuscationable.

Jukkaboy
TANSTAAFL said:

I believe the mastery width usually goes by demo vid. I am also under the impression that 'shoulder width' mastery for non dislocate items is around thumbs lined up with the outside of the deltoids. Please someone correct me if this is confuscationable.

If this is true I have finally passed PE2>iM!!

kimura

I am interested in this question as well!

Duff

Shoulder distance(or just slightly wider) for non-dislocate elements and shoulder + two fist lengths for dislocates. 

Fede HD

(For Dislocating element) Are you sure two Fists and not just one? Is it ok for mastery to pass with shoulder width + two fists and then work on narrow grips or is it mandatory shoulder width+one fist?

TANSTAAFL
Fede HD said:

(For Dislocating element) Are you sure two Fists and not just one? Is it ok for mastery to pass with shoulder width + two fists and then work on narrow grips or is it mandatory shoulder width+one fist?

It's a fist one fist on each side, so perhaps this is just a semantics issue?

Soboc

Hi guys, 

 

I have recently bought the H1 too and I've been doubting about the same question. What is the shoulder width to pass the mobility assignment?  

 

Thanks to all, and good luck!

 

Javier

Adriano Augusto

Shoulder width (non dislocate elements)

 

rku8t0.png

 

Shoulder width + 1 hand (dislocate elements)

 

mm3qll.png

 

Simple as that.

Soboc
Adriano Augusto said:

Shoulder width (non dislocate elements)

 

rku8t0.png

 

Shoulder width + 1 hand (dislocate elements)

 

mm3qll.png

 

Simple as that.

Thanks Adriano, but sorry for my ignorance, what do you mean by "dislocate" and "non dislocate elemets". By  the way, I'm from Andalucía as well  ;)

 

Thanks !!

Adriano Augusto

Non dislocate elements: iM1 to iM4.

 

Dislocate Elements: the rest.

 

Spanish guy? :D Welcome aboard! ¡Bienvenio tío!

Soboc
Adriano Augusto said:

Non dislocate elements: iM1 to iM4.

 

Dislocate Elements: the rest.

 

Spanish guy? :D Welcome aboard! ¡Bienvenio tío!

Thanks man!

 

So, I need to keep working in iM1... :(  I have a big lack of shoulder mobility...

 

Un saludo tío!

Jukkaboy

I have actually been wondering about this, maybe someone can enlighten me. I will try to explain this properly.

Essentially the first iM's are like half dislocates in a way, so I was wondering why we aren't just training dislocates from the beginning with H1? It is because the full dislocates are much harder on the shoulder girdle and therefore most people aren't properly prepared for them?

Adriano Augusto

Jukkaboy, the first iM's are nothing about half dislocates or semi dislocate, in fact, there's no "dislocate" action at all. It's just flexion and extension.

 

For example, If you want to feel iM1 properly on the traps, try to do PE5, Prone Floor HS Flexion. There's no dislocate action, it's all traps and scapula engagement. iM1 is the same thing but sitting.

 

In your second question you're right. Jump off directly on weighted dislocate without the proper shoulder conditioning is calling for an injury.

Jukkaboy

Thanks for the reply Adriano, I always thought they were meant to prepare the shoulders for reaching the range needed for dislocates, you learn something new everyday:D

I'm almost there with PE2-iM, i still train some unweighted dislocates and just make sure there's no grinding at all, but just smooth controlled movement. 

SLY

  I just wanted to clarify if you must have a shoulder width grip for each iM before moving onto the next progression?? 

 

Some of the iM's it says a shoulder width grip is the ultimate goal but does not mention if it is mandatory?.  On mastery of PE1>iM a shoulder width grip is not mentioned, it only says you must be able to perform 10s correctly and with full ROM. 

 

It depends what iM you do. For example the iM in the PE1 just look at the athlete.

He sits cross-legged and his hands are beside his knees, so you only could have a wider shoulder width.

 

I think you can't activate the correct muscles when you have shoulder width, at least I can't.

 

Jon Douglas
Jukkaboy said:

Thanks for the reply Adriano, I always thought they were meant to prepare the shoulders for reaching the range needed for dislocates, you learn something new everyday:D

 

 

Sort of, but without the rotation. Not to be confused :) straight back and forward.

I like to do these cold to prep for dislocate work in my warmup

Adriano Augusto
Jon Douglas said:

Sort of, but without the rotation. Not to be confused :) straight back and forward.

I like to do these cold to prep for dislocate work in my warmup

Jon do you start directly going shoulder width on im3/im4 with 15kg as you said in other topic? Or do you scale a bit?

Jon Douglas
Adriano Augusto said:

Jon do you start directly going shoulder width on im3/im4 with 15kg as you said in other topic? Or do you scale a bit?

I do wrist prep and wall runs first so I suppose my shoulders are quite warm, but yeah I go straight into 1*10 of each @ 15. Then dislocates.

Sisyphus
TANSTAAFL said:

I believe the mastery width usually goes by demo vid...

 

I'd agree with this - except that the athlete in the PE5>iM video seems to have a slightly wider grip. Maybe an inch or two outside the line of his delts? In any case; I've drawn a shoulder width line on my dowel and I'm going to get my hands there come hell or high water.  :D

Micawberian

I find it strange everybody is saying shoulder width is required for mastery for non dislocate elements. If we go by the videos, this is indeed the case for movements such as PE2im and PE4im. However, if you notice Allan's width in PE1im and PE3im, he is clearly well outside shoulder width. Just before he begins the movement, his wrists are resting just inside the knees.

Though, I don't know the official stance on this since I don't read the forums too meticulously. If coach has actually designated shoulder width for all non-dislocate elements?

I really think the answer to the OP's question is: It is desirable, not mandatory. For elements PE1im, PE3im, PE4, PE5, and PE6 I would aim to master the movement at the same width that my hands would be in the handstand. I notice Allan keeps his hands pretty far apart in his handstand, so his PE1im hand width seems to represent his preferred handstand positioning. Handstand is a process of continuous refinement, after all.

Wow I overthinked this.