Hi all.
I found this little gem:
http://www.jssm.org/vol12/n1/17/v12n1-17pdf.pdf
and thought it would be interesting if we could have a discussion wether or not to experiment with the parkour landing in gymnastics instead of the traditional one.
Started by Alexander Egebak, May 10, 2014 · 15 Replies · 4,536 Views
Hi all.
I found this little gem:
http://www.jssm.org/vol12/n1/17/v12n1-17pdf.pdf
and thought it would be interesting if we could have a discussion wether or not to experiment with the parkour landing in gymnastics instead of the traditional one.
It is an interesting study. However, the landing in a parkour setting is not immediately comparable to the landing in gymnastics, given the different ultimate functions the landings serve, and the environment in which the arts are respectively practiced.
I you would choose the landing with the least ground impact the parkour landing would indeed be preferable.
I would also think that there would not be much of a difference in landing in balance. But I can see one reason that this should not be true; the parkour forefoot landing is usually followed by leaning forward and putting hands on the ground for better distribution of impact in deeper drops where you do not roll. However, given the difference in strength between a gymnast and an average parkour practioner (the gymnast will most likely have stronger legs and therefore absorb the landing shock better) the gymnast would not have to adopt this habit, and the landing could remain more traditionel and aesthetic.
I have no experience in deep dropping unto a mat and the difference in landing in balance - if it would be impossible with a pure forefoot landing instead of forefoot-heel landing.
I find it very interesting too. I don't see gymnasts switching to either parkour landing method because of the rules in competitions. Imagine them rolling after their dismount though. ![]()
I'm still wondering if for someone that just intends to play around around with gymnastics routines with no desire to compete, it could be preferable for joint integrity.
Imagine them rolling after their dismount though.
Actually they do. I've seen a few competitions and in their warm up they often don't try to stick the dismount but roll out of it. Though they don't do those parkour rolls but straight forward and backward rolls.
Actually, according to the study, there was not much of a difference in downforce between the normal forefoot landing and the rolling landing, so rolls are not neccessarily needed.
There are a number of reasons that parkour practioners roll; to dismount from a bad landing, to better absorb very deep drops, and to utilize forward momentum in order to maintain speed after landing.
Gymnasts do not have much forward momentum during landings, they have their own roll for bad landings (even though it is not as effective as the parkour roll) and they do not drop deep enough compared to their shock absorbation strength.
Freshpro said:Actually, according to the study, there was not much of a difference in downforce between the normal forefoot landing and the rolling landing, so rolls are not neccessarily needed.
There are a number of reasons that parkour practioners roll; to dismount from a bad landing, to better absorb very deep drops, and to utilize forward momentum in order to maintain speed after landing.
Gymnasts do not have much forward momentum during landings, they have their own roll for bad landings (even though it is not as effective as the parkour roll) and they do not drop deep enough compared to their shock absorbation strength.
I can imagine if someone doing parkour would roll the way that gymnasts does they would ruin their spine pretty quick.
gohei_ said:I can imagine if someone doing parkour would roll the way that gymnasts does they would ruin their spine pretty quick.
Yep
And since gymnasts don't often land on concrete they don't have to worry about that, so why is it not as effective?
gohei_ said:And since gymnasts don't often land on concrete they don't have to worry about that, so why is it not as effective?
On a mat the landings can compete with each other because the rolling is being used as a way of exiting a bad landing, here it is just about habits and about what you prefer. Gymnast rolls also looks more artistic. But I believe that the shock absorbation from the parkour roll is still significantly better; it is not just about tearing down your spine.
its best not to land like a gymnast in a place full of concrete, as gymnasts have to lock their knees out. I'm worried what would happen if they land from a jump with locked knees. Snap all kinds of shit up.
Sailor Venus said:its best not to land like a gymnast in a place full of concrete, as gymnasts have to lock their knees out. I'm worried what would happen if they land from a jump with locked knees. Snap all kinds of shit up.
Gymnasts aren't supposed to lock their knees for landings either due to the dangers.
Sailor Venus said:its best not to land like a gymnast in a place full of concrete, as gymnasts have to lock their knees out. I'm worried what would happen if they land from a jump with locked knees. Snap all kinds of shit up.
Where did you get that idea? Locking your knees for a landing is a good way to get hurt even on a spring floor.
Joshua Slocum said:Where did you get that idea? Locking your knees for a landing is a good way to get hurt even on a spring floor.
My coaches told me. If I don't lock out my knee, the judges will deduct points. Coaches admitted to me they hate locking out knees. I'll risk losing points to preserve my knees by bending them on purpose thank you. I don't want a gold medal in exchange for broken knees.
Sailor Venus said:My coaches told me. If I don't lock out my knee, the judges will deduct points. Coaches admitted to me they hate locking out knees. I'll risk losing points to preserve my knees by bending them on purpose thank you. I don't want a gold medal in exchange for broken knees.
Either your coach is an idiot, or there's some miscommunication going on. Even in the Olympics athletes will bend at the knee for a landing.
When *rebounding* off of the spring floor, you want the knees locked so that you bounce higher, but that's a very different technique from landing.
Summary of the link posted in the OT.
Summary of the follow-up study.
Links to the full studies are in the articles. Results are more or less the same, but testing this time included a sound measure and two different heights.
Still pretty interesting to me. ![]()