Have anybody, tried to combinate the two? And how did you do?
Combinate weight training and gymnastic
Started by battman, May 10, 2014 · 11 Replies · 3,131 Views
Yes,
The best way to combine is to take care of mobility issues first and develop the base level of strength in full range of motion. Foundation covers this aspect in detail. After that is taken care of weightlifting can be added for maximal leg work.
Take back the clock to 2000-2003 in my early 20's and it was pretty doable. But back in those days, recovery was not an issue but programming was more exploratory. Typically ascending sets for 1-5r to 350# every other day besides Sn or CJ.
Typically I would train before and after coaching and hit the gym after that kinda late.
Post 30 has been very different. Typically I prefer to work deads or squats twice a week on Tu/F, vaulting and tumbling and doing sprints on M/Th. From 2009-2010, they were generally the last exercise of the day though in 2011 I generally did them split apart as I would go to the Uni gym either midday/noonish or late night. Program was 5-3-1 so volume was rather light but I wanted a program that would allow me to lift yet recover and not grind me into the floor. Didn't do any barbell accessory exercises as I figured tumbling and vaulting and gymnastics BW lower body exercises fit the bill.
So during a week of 5-3-1 there was a BS/OHP day, DL/BP day, and eventually a FS/GM day. I had pretty much been doing zero barbell work for 6mo prior to 5-3-1 in early 2011 so that is exactly why I chose that program vs any other.
Note, I did basically no Snatch/CJ "Traditional Weightlifting" during that period as the Uni gym did not allow it and I coached when the platforms were open and didn't get around to training at a seperate climbing gym that had bumpers and decent bars to SNCJ. The same was true of 2009-2010 when I would only drop in at a gym to do SnCJ on occasion, a few times a month because of my schedule.
I combine them actually but only movements that could be useful for gymnastic so front squats + deadlift for the landing, back squat for back jumps, behind the back shoulder press with large grip. every time with the aim to increase maximal strength. the stengthgoal needs less mobility to be balanced. until you stay over strength range is more reasonable to combine them, probably muscles range could be a little counter productive.
whats up guys, been doing gymnastics and calisthenics for the past 4 years, recently after doing longer sets on the bar (>1min) my hands lock up, and i can't move them. also at night while i sleep they become numb until i start shaking them around. has anyone else experienced this?
Barprez said:whats up guys, been doing gymnastics and calisthenics for the past 4 years, recently after doing longer sets on the bar (>1min) my hands lock up, and i can't move them. also at night while i sleep they become numb until i start shaking them around. has anyone else experienced this?
I cannot answer you but start your own thread to get more attention.
I combine them.
But I follow a hierarchy in my training which I think is essential.
- Thorough warmup (dynamic mobility, increase core temperature, prep muscle and joints)
- Technical skill work
- Explosive training
- Strength training
- Mobility training
I've messed around with all different variations of these but I think this is a fantastic order and here's why:
As you fatigue, fine motor control diminishes. All technical and skill work should be done first while your mind, nervous system, and musculoskeletal system is fresh. Try doing a hard strength workout then working on a technical skill.....you'll likely find your progress to be abysmal.
Explosive work requires lower loads but has more complex and neurological demands than slower strength training.
And finally, mobility work is the least demanding both physically and neurologically.
My exception here is doing shoulder opening mobility BEFORE handstands (and at the end of the training session).
Hope that helps.
I'd love to hear what other people think on this.
Justin Goodhart said:As you fatigue, fine motor control diminishes. All technical and skill work should be done first while your mind, nervous system, and musculoskeletal system is fresh. Try doing a hard strength workout then working on a technical skill.....you'll likely find your progress to be abysmal.
Actually, I find that this is not at all the case, at least for me. I did Foundation work before gymnastics skill work for a while (~6 months) and found it made my skill work more productive if anything. It took a few weeks to get used to but eventually I got to the point where I always had plenty of energy left in the tank (after a ~5m rest) to do skills after strength. If I remember correctly, this is also how Coach said he structured his athletes' training.
Joshua Slocum said:Actually, I find that this is not at all the case, at least for me. I did Foundation work before gymnastics skill work for a while (~6 months) and found it made my skill work more productive if anything. It took a few weeks to get used to but eventually I got to the point where I always had plenty of energy left in the tank (after a ~5m rest) to do skills after strength. If I remember correctly, this is also how Coach said he structured his athletes' training.
What sort of volume and intensity were you working with?
Justin Goodhart said:What sort of volume and intensity were you working with?
I was doing four Foundation elements, or three Foundation elements + Handstand work, depending on the day. It amounted to 30-45 minutes of moderate volume and intensity without a lot of rest.
Joshua Slocum said:Actually, I find that this is not at all the case, at least for me. I did Foundation work before gymnastics skill work for a while (~6 months) and found it made my skill work more productive if anything. It took a few weeks to get used to but eventually I got to the point where I always had plenty of energy left in the tank (after a ~5m rest) to do skills after strength. If I remember correctly, this is also how Coach said he structured his athletes' training.
Absolutely. If you are not physically ready to be performing an acrobatic skill routinely then you really should not be training it yet. At least this has been my experience with tumbling. It seems pretty essential to injury prevention as well.
Matt JC said:Absolutely. If you are not physically ready to be performing an acrobatic skill routinely then you really should not be training it yet. At least this has been my experience with tumbling. It seems pretty essential to injury prevention as well.
Ahhh. If the athlete is not physically ready to perform the skills, that does change things.