This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Help on Headstand, Form Check HS/PE2 & HSPE1>iM

Started by abvb11, May 9, 2014 · 1 Replies · 198 Views

abvb11

I previously posted a concern on headstands but under F1, figured I would post the video to get checked in H1, since thats where it fits.

 

I have mastered the tripod (HS/PE1) however I tried the headstand (HS/PE2) and had problem getting through 1 set of 3x12s. I could get up again for second try but couldn't hold it the whole time (scary rolling over as I am not use to that). The video here, I can obviously see form issues, but when I am upside down I feel like I am straight, I got through 5x12s but not with good form as shown. Guess i need to have a camera man follow me around constantly so I can always check it :)

As a suggestion from another member I did it near a wall and really worked on getting straighter, but again could not get past 2 sets with out either falling back or forward.

 

Headstand - any help is appreciated.

 

Also I needed to repost a video on the seated static extension, just want to get some more feedback on this one as I really worked on shrugging shoulders and making sure I am far enough back.

 

Seated static shoulder extension - I think my hands are at right place, not sure if they need to be further in or not? Please share comments.  Thanks!

TANSTAAFL

HeS looks fine. It takes a while to get used to being upside down. I would recommend trying some extra padding like a folded towel on top of everything else. A gym mat is best for me, but I found that extra padding really helped my neck adjust. Again though, there is nothing wrong with staying in front of a wall until you are more comfortable/have some time under your belt.

 

Another note is if you check the demo vid you don't have to be straight vertical for mastery of this one. Ideally you can focus on that, but it isn't necessary. You do want PPT(posterier pelvic tilt) as you do in hollow hold, so even if you are at more of an angle to the floor, you want most of your body straight...hopefully that makes sense.

 

Finding the sweet spot of weight distribution for you between the head and arms might help as well.  Also feel free to play with different head positions, i.e. from the flat top to the upper forehead. Coach said that wasn't really a focus point so just find what's comfortable for you.

 

The shoulder ext. looks pretty good. I would say your hands might even be a little too close together and try to get a little more lean before extending back. Also focus on keeping a straight back from the bottom of the neck to the tailbone. You don't want any arch in the lower or upper/mid back.