GST and calf conditioning

Started by Alexander Egebak, May 8, 2014 · 12 Replies · 4,743 Views

Alexander Egebak

Do gymnasts specifically strength train the calf?

 

When people here talk about leg training it is always about single leg squat progressions. I figure plyometric jumping would "work them out" but all this talk about having a strength base before doing plyos makes me think that there must be calf/foot requisities as well?

 

And maybe it would be covered in Movement 1?

Keilani Gutierrez

I think SLS progressions (if you maintain your arch on the working leg) will strengthen your feet/calves.

I noticed this small detail because I can clearly see the pronounced difference of how my foot looks like on my kicking leg. my "base" legs foot has a straighter big toe than my "kick" leg. now i know why doing SLS on each feels differently :)

my opinion, at least.

MT Nordic

I believe suppleness of the calf, moreso than strength, is important. the calf isn't a huge contributor to jumping power, but if it is tight and non-mobile you will get achilles/calf injuries from jumping. the SLS progressions improve the mobility quite a lot, and do to a minor degree strengthen it. I get some good calf cramps on the mobility elements like SE3-5 iM.

Daniel Burnham

Calf and Achilles specific exercises are done to strengthen the legs for plyo work. My bet is that coach will cover this extensively in movement.

Alexander Egebak

That makes me even more excited about Movement 1. Tell me, isn't it "late spring" already?!

 

Is foundation a prerequisite for Movement 1?

Blairbob

 Most gymnasts will do lots of calf and/or heel raises in their conditioning. Obviously the girls spend quite a bit of time in releve during beam or floor dance training.

 

 They also spend a lot of time doing bounding jumps, forward and backward typically. This is just a basic drill but it's pretty much gymnastics 101 even for the 3yo on tumbl-trak or floor.

 

 An often used drill for vault is one legged bounding for distance and time.

 

 As well tumbling and vaulting train the calf muscles besides sprints and jumps.

Helander
Freshpro said:

That makes me even more excited about Movement 1. Tell me, isn't it "late spring" already?!

 

Is foundation a prerequisite for Movement 1?

You bet it is  ;)

 

Think about a person who can't hold himself in a static arch or hollow position for 5x3 seconds. Could you imagine him being put through those positions in a dynamic manner without being killed gruesomely?

 

At least it would make sense knowing Coach's philosophy. First build the Foundation before building the house.

Joshua Slocum
Freshpro said:

Saw that too, but as Helander says - you would have to be well prepared before taking up a plyo program.

 

Coach please, we need you ;_;

There's more to movement than plyometrics. First you learn to walk, then you run, and *then* you jump. 

-MR

Speaking of which, does anyone have a clue as to the metabolic demands of M1? That is, would a session of M1 be a good replacement for a session of sprinting or HIIT? Not necessarily from the point of view of increasing one's running speed, but more from the point of view of the cardiovascular/metabolic effects. 

 

In case a little context is needed, the snow is finally gone here, and I was thinking of getting some running and sprinting in a few times a week to work on cardio now that I can't go cross-country skiing. The only issue is that I haven't run regularly in a few years and will therefore need to dedicate some time to getting my calves ready for the stress of sprinting in zero-drop shoes. So before I set about committing some time and effort to this, I was wondering if M1 would obviate the need to add any sprinting to my routine.

 

In other words, does coach make his athletes sprint in addition to doing Movement-type workouts or is Movement considered enough?

 

I'm not particularly interested in being the fastest sprinter in town, I mostly care about general fitness, body composition and the ability to use my body more optimally. If M1 does this for me, I don't think I would dedicate much time to sprinting, and would let hikes, bike rides, and kayaking sessions be my main cardiovascular activities. 

Alexander Egebak

I cannot help you by anything but bumping this thread.

-MR
Freshpro said:

I cannot help you by anything but bumping this thread.

Thanks :) Re-reading my question though, I'm not sure anyone is going to be able to give me an answer. I'll just do some sprinting and reassess if and when M1 is released.