This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE3 and RC/PE3 - template for those last few reps

Started by Michael Taylor, May 8, 2014 · 4 Replies · 312 Views

Michael Taylor

On both of these elements, I have been repeating weeks 9-12 on an endless loop, trying to get those last few elusive reps.

 

I have always seemed to stall out  before reaching the 5x10r goal.

 

My best for RC/PE3 has been 10,10,10,10,8 and for HBP/PE3 has been 10,10,10,9,8

 

The reps seem strong, just seem to peter out at the tail end.

 

Unlike some of the higher rep elements, I have found that I cannot simply grit the teeth and gut them out :icon_twisted:

 

 

To resolve this, I have changed my rep template for weeks 9-12

 

I currently use an 8-day week format of (F4;F3;H1;Rest) x 2

 

Each element therefore receives 6 sessions and 2 deload sessions per 4 'week' block.

 

On the standard pattern, each session would be repeated twice during each week  for 3 rep increments before deload

 

In order to keep a high volume with a steady and sustainable increment, I have utilised the following template for these two elements:

 

eg RC/PE3:  Wk1 - (8,8,8,8,8);  (8,8,8,8,9)

                     Wk2 - (8,8,8,9,9);  (8,8,9,9,9)

                     Wk3 - (8,9,9,9,9);  (9,9,9,9,9)

                     Wk4 - (5,5,5,5,5);  (5,5,5,5,5)

 

This was with a goal of 5x9r at the end of the block to allow some gaining momentum into the next block to go for 5x10r.

 

(For HBP/PE3, I started at 5x7r with a goal of 5x8r)

 

I am currently starting the deload week on both of these, having strongly achieved each rep goal

 

By putting the rep increment in the last set of the 5 and working back to the first over the 6 sessions, I have felt more like I 'owned' the rep increase.

 

Whereas previously I would feel drained as I came to the last couple of sets and watched the reps drop off, I have not had that sensation at all on this template and felt strong throughout. I feel that my body has better adapted to the volume without burning out.

 

Had I missed a rep goal on any given session, I would simply have remained at it over subsequent session until achieved, but I never got to that point.

 

The proof of the pudding will be over the next block as I push for 5x10r, but I am feeling confident! :D

 

As an aside - tinkering with little things like this to reach specific goals has kept me on the Foundation straight and narrow :D Instead of losing motivation or looking for change and variety, this is enough to rekindle enthusiasm for more of the same!

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

When you stall for a lot of time you need to be sure that you are using the same joints angles during all the reps, all the sessions.

Include 2-3 very slow negatives at the end of the last set just after the last rep could solve your problem. i used this strategy more then one time. you can do that or another example is continue to complete the set using a easier variation of the same progression.

Michael Taylor

Alex,

 

That is an interesting idea, and not one that I had considered.

 

I am pretty consistent set to set and focus even more on form as I begin to tire

Coach Sommer

Beautiful idea.  Well done.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer