(Let me apologize for the length in advance, and say that I am merely looking for anecdotal advice to help my mental return)
I'm a rock climber who progressed into gymnastics primarily using BtGB as a bodybuilding endeavour. I completely ruptured a pec tendon in a fashion similar to this video where my body rotated left during a one-arm swing from the right hand. The pec major tendon was torn of the humerus completely and was surgically reattached about 32 hours later. I had a great surgeon but the Physical Therapy I had access to over the last 2 months was fairly generic (15 year PT on site had never seen my type of injury, nor had any one else in the facility). I had 95% P-ROM 3 weeks post op, and 98% A-ROM after 6 weeks.
I'm now 12 weeks post-op with pre-surgery ROM, and my conservative treatment under my surgeon/therapists control has now come to an end. While I maintained leg and core strength during my recovery (lots of SLS, HBR, PLK, Vup, StradleUp), my upper body work was limited to blue therabands.
I did my first workout this week, which wasn't pushing anything, I was conservatively testing my degraded abilities. I did 3x10 inverted pike bodyweight rows in the rings, 3x30second inverted hang/shrugs, 3x10 pushups on inverted bosu ball, 30s L-sit on parallettes, and 3x30second free handstands (proud I still had any balancing ability!).
Now I find myself to scared to do dips, pullups, and levers. The only guidance my surgeon had for me was to remain below 50% 1RM for the next 3 months. My old dip maxes (never 1RM'd anything) was 135lb for 8 reps and 135lb pullups for 3 reps from a dead hang). I find myself asking "what is 50 percent of a 10 second FL in the rings?" I'm going to start back on the beginner progressions (considering signing up for F1), but wondering how I should incorporate the surgeon's 50% 1RM limitation to a completely different type of training. I'm 6'2" and I've atrophied down to 190lbs from about 198 while my latest dexa scan raised me up to about 9 percent fat), so I'm not a featherweight.
I'm certain that Morgan Hamm and myself aren't the only guys to tear pecs in this sport, but I have yet to find anyone in my small circle with experience in such things. Anyone here had a full pec rupture that had the benefit of advanced trainers to return? Morgan put some videos like this and this on the internet 7 years ago, but it shows him going from blue therabands in month 2 to Giants in month 4. I can't mentally get to a dead hang right now for fear of tearing that tendon back off. I really am just beginning my return, but I'm looking for advice on getting my mental game back on the right track since I don't have a team of Olympic trainers guiding me. Any anecdotes from folks with similar injuries? Any books written on the topic? Think I should just do F1/F2 to pace myself?
Any advice is appreciated... thanks.