This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Regression to the RC/PE1 Regression Please

Started by mcneuen, May 5, 2014 · 8 Replies · 391 Views

mcneuen

I'm so frustrated with the RC/PE1.  I'm having good progression on all of the other moves, but I can't even seem to get to the starting gate with this move.  I'm starting week 16 of consistent practice.

 

In a recent thread, Coach suggested that if you can't get to the 3x3 standard for week 1, start by working up ISO holds at the top position.  OK sounds good, especially since that's where I'm stuck.

 

And then I tried it.  This is embarrassing to admit, but not only am I unable to hold that position for the week 1 time for exercises that require 60s ISO holds, I can't hold that position for a full second!  I can 60s chin-holds from RC/PE6, but I can't do even a single second of the regressed RC/PE1?  Something is obviously very wrong with my mechanics.

 

For all of the other RC exercises, the bar or rings at the top position are closer in height to the shoulder and also even with or in front of the body.  I can get into that position fine.  But PE1 ends with the rings behind the shoulders and level with the ears.  It's that body-forward position that seems to be defeating me.

 

Which leaves me asking, with some embarrassment, for a regression to the regression.  Would it be wise to work up to ISO holds with the rings in front of the body (closer to the end of PE2 but above ear level) and then from there move on to ISO holds with rings in the behind-the-body position shown in the video?

 

(If you've been wondering what I've been doing for 16 weeks, I've been doing the progression with the butt on the ground, thinking this would be a regression-to-the-regression, but that really hasn't helped much.  I know, I should have asked sooner.)

Nash

Hey,

Consistency works if you're doing the movement correctly. Post a video; maybe your form is causing unnecessary de-leverage.

Jennifer

I am on the first block of  RC PE 0.5 (the regression) and I find it to be quite difficult. 

mark

Have you posted a video anywhere of your attempts?

KibboKift

I agree with Nash. It's quite possible that there is some point of form which is making this unnecesarrilly difficult for you. A video would be a great help in identifying this - you might even spot it yourself without even having to post the footage.

 

That said, you could try the following as a further regression (although I've not had time to test it myself, since I'm not at home ATM):

 

- Start by setting your rings to shoulder height and put your arms in approximately the same position as the second photo in the course material. If you can't do this then you have a mobility issue to tackle, since in this position your arms are not supporting any of your bodyweight.

 

- Most likely you can do this, so start reducing the height of the rings and try the position again. Legs should remain straight, but you will pike at the hips. As the ring height reduces, more of the body's weight is borne by the arms. Once you find a height at which you can only hold the position for a few sets of 12s, you have found a suitable starting point to build from.

mcneuen

Ok, here are some videos. They are all very short.

This is attempting the regression.

Just as reference in case it helps diagnose:

Here is RC/PE1 attempt except ending in chin-up hold. I can see I'm pinching too much with upper traps.

Here is RC/PE1 attempt except ending in neutral grip and not as high as in the video. Again, too much upper traps.

And here is RC/PE1 attempt with higher rings and still ending without being able to get rings behind the body.

Having watched these, I'm thinking maybe the best thing to do would be to do a regression where the rings end up next to the head, and then as I work on increasing the reps, I also work on increasing ROM? And after mastery lower down, raise the rings closer to the height in the video.

LateStarter@46

This may help.

At the start, move the lower body backwards so your glutes are behind the vertical plane of the rings.

Think less of pulling on the rings and more of hinging from the hip and 'winging' between the rings. Think of the rings as something to keep your balance on whilst hinging up.

Nice cap, I want one of those!

mcneuen

Holy smokes, LateStarter, that changes everything.  Thanks muchly.  

KibboKift

Hi mcneuen,

Glad to see you've made progress already! I was in the middle of writing a longish reply, so I'll post it anyway:

LateStarter@46 said:

This may help.

At the start, move the lower body backwards so your glutes are behind the vertical plane of the rings.

Think less of pulling on the rings and more of hinging from the hip and 'winging' between the rings. Think of the rings as something to keep your balance on whilst hinging up.

Nice cap, I want one of those!

Indeed. Setting your body a little further backwards in relation to the rings should give you a little bit of assistance in that top position.

 

You are doing better than I expected based on your previous description though. IMHO I don't think you are far off acceptable form. I think the third video is the best. You just lack the strength to push your chest forward that last bit so that your body is vertical.

 

Although it is a commendable approach to always aim to match the form demonstrated exactly in the video, in this case we may end up aiming a bit higher than is strictly necessary. Although I personally mastered this element last September, back then the video was different and there was less emphasis on pulling the elbows out and behind the body (the course video has been changed since then, as it showed the athlete resting his glutes on the ground, which is incorrect). My approach to the exercise was more along the lines of:

Coach Sommer said:

You guys are seriously overthinking these.  

 

Adust the rings so that your glutes are off the ground.  Hinging at the hips, row/pull up while keeping the glutes off the ground and then return back to the starting position.  Complete the required number of reps.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I made sure my body was vertical and my hands were touching, or in line with, my shoulders.

 

Although I can still demonstrate mastery to the same standard as before, even now I don't have the mobility to pull my elbows back as far as the athlete in the current video and I think a 60s static hold in this position is harder than 15 reps of the PE.

 

If I were in your position, I would work low reps of the exercise, as you are doing it in your third video. Thinking of pulling the shoulders down should help activate the lower traps in the top position. Try and pause in the top position and don't bring your head forward in an attempt to gain more ROM. Once you are getting the correct activation, the strength will come with time.