This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

help! my shoulders are immobile

Started by obc, May 4, 2014 · 9 Replies · 806 Views

obc

Hi all!

 

I'm 38, and am several months into F1 and H1, and I've noticed that my shoulder is extremely lacking mobility.

 

I can't do shoulder dislocates: there's just no stick/belt long enough for me to complete this movement with straight arms. even If I do this without any belt/stick, with just my hands at 160/170 degrees, I hear grinding/popping and the movement feels very unsmooth.

 

Wall extensions: I've started doing this, but obviously am very limited in movement. will continue with this one for sure.

 

HS/PE1-im and HS/PE2-im: very very very far from the goal. HS/PE1-im: I can't bring my hands behind my head at all. HS/PE2-im: I'm probably only 45 degrees from the floor with my hands, very far from the required 90 degrees.

 

Still Leg Windmill and Xiaopeng Forward: I can somewhat do the movement, but not without grinding/popping and some inconvenience/gentle pain.

 

How do you recommend me to proceed? what drill(s) should I do to improve this situation?

 

Thanks a lot!

 

PS - I'm not even mentioning Swivel hips now :)

obc

Maybe I should do the shoulder mobility warm up drills in R1?

Joshua Slocum

Perform the iM's with a range of motion that does not cause grinding or pain. Work to progressively increase this ROM until it is at mastery level, then move to the next exercise.

Bayesian

There could be soft tissue restrictions. Try foam rolling your thoracic spine or using a lacrosse ball on your upper back near your scapulas. (If you don't act diligent towards maintaining proper posture and avoiding the behaviors that made your shoulders like this in the first place then these soft tissue restrictions will return. Sometimes there's a lasting effect, but it may only be temporary. Just continue with F1)

 

Perhaps you could look into visiting a physical therapist as well.

Jon Douglas

From what you've written there, I think Xiaopengs are probably going to be the medicine you need the most initially :) take it easy on your shoulders for a bit and think rehab and stretching, not all-out strength work. If you lose ROM by 5% you've gone too heavy.

 

Wall extensions are excellent and you should do them :) Otherwise what Josh said for all H1 mobility

David Creekmore

Flossing might help if you can get a partner to assist.  

dmcmanam

You will have to be persistent to rehab your shoulder, be very careful to not antagonize any old injuries as you strengthen and stretch.  If dislocates are too complicated a movement, just stretch flexion and extension separately and work circular movements with light resistance like a theraband.  A good massage therapist who knows the rotator cuff well and can massage your subscapularis would help.  You might also invest in a copy of "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" and work on your shoulder and pecs by yourself.  Your age is only a problem because it sounds like you have 20 years of not stretching your shoulders to consider but you have plenty of time to correct that.

obc

Wow. Thank you so much everyone - your answers are extremely helpful.

Josh, were you referring to particular iM's I should focus on? H1's? or R1's?

Jon, do you think that performing Xiaopengs without any weight is beneficial as well? even with only a 2Kg weight I can feel a little bit of pain (the bad one, not the good one)

David, what do you mean by flossing? I found some "nerve flossing" material, but not sure how to apply it.

Dmcmanam, do you consider H1-im and H2-im as adequate flexion and extension stretches for the shoulder? How would you suggest to perform resistance circular movements - straight arm shoulder rolls with a band tied to the floor/ceiling?

Also, Dmcmanam, thank you so much for mentioning the Trigger Point Therapy book. Wow - it looks so rich of information and helpful. Got the book now, will go over it. I also noticed the same author has "The Frozen Shoulder Workbook" title, have you had a chance to check it out too?

Again, everyone, thank you so much.

It's a privilege and a pleasure to be able to get your advice!

Jon Douglas

It's not a bad thing without weight, but it's much, much better to have even a little weight. Seriously, pick up some $10 toy dumbbells and try it with 0.5-1kg :) Alternatively some forum users have used rocks, bricks, milk bottles, etc. I stayed with 4kg a long time because it gave me great activation and stretch without being too heavy to do very slow reps-- no need to push the weight too heavy too fast. Obviously pain is to be avoided.

Addressing existing issues through trigger point therapy etc can often save a whole lot of time and frustration with slow (particularly mobility but also strength) progression, worth looking into :)

obc

Just a quick update.

 

The gentle pain felt during Still Leg Windmill and Xiaopeng Forward was solved by myofascial message. I had no idea that something like myofascial pain even existed :)