This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Grinding noise in knee when doing Deck squats

Started by JImenie, May 4, 2014 · 3 Replies · 180 Views

JImenie

Hiya all!

First post here and I'd like to start by saying I really love the program! Have made some huge improvements allready compared to when I first started a few months back.

 

I'm having a problem though. When I come up from a deck squat, I hear this pretty long grinding sound in my right knee. It doesn't hurt, I can't really feel it neither (can't even say where exactly in my knee it originates), but it is allways there. The only way to prevent it from happening is keeping my feet and knees together when I stand up, so I'm doing a sort of 'closed form' squat.

If I do that I hear nothing, which makes me think that it is some sort of tracking problem, as keeping my knees together forces them to stay straight.

Anyone has any idea what might be causing this and how I could work on removing it?

 

I should point out that I've allways had sensitive knees, that don't need much to get hurt.

 

Kind regards,

 

Jimenie

dynamo

The grinding sound you hear might just crepitus which is usually nothing to worry about.  I've always read and been told that if it doesn't hurt don't worry about it; still you would want to monitor it and if any soreness or irritation starts to develop than I would back off until I knew more about what was going on.

 

One of many articles on crepitus:

 

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/injuries/a/aa092500.htm

 

Also, notice in the gb vid on SLS/PE1 the athlete has his feet and knees fairly close together.

MT Nordic

I would focus on not letting your knees collapse inward.  You can do that by activating your glutes which will also keep your arches from collapsing inward.  If you've never had any locking or popping of the joint, and it doesn't hurt, I guess I would also say it's ok to work on technique and strengthening and see if it improves.  If you've had any of those symptoms you should see a doctor and see if you've got some meniscal material floating around.  Usually loose cartilage will cause you some of these symptoms and will often come and go. It's important to recognize, though, as it will wear down your cartilage faster and can lead to early arthritis.  I'd say it's good news it doesn't hurt, and that proper positioning of the knees makes it go away.  Most likely is it is patellofemoral crepitus which "might" improve with stronger more balance leg muscles.  cheers, and good luck.

JImenie

Thanks for the replies!

Had some minor surgery on tuesday, so can't test it out for another week, but will definately try to keep my glutes tight and knees straight!

 

Greets,

Jimenie