This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Just starting and I can't do the first exercise for SLS (Deck Squat)

Started by Rachel Miner, May 4, 2014 · 11 Replies · 495 Views

Rachel Miner

It looks simple in the video, but when I come back to my feet to stand… I'm stuck.  I can do all the other starter exercises (and the flexibility at this level is easy for me).  So, should I do the part of the deck squat exercise that I can and then use my hands to help me to standing?  I can do the sit, the roll back, the roll forward and then when my feet touch, I'm currently not strong or coordinated enough to just come to standing without help.  Thoughts?

RJS

What i did, when in the first two weeks, was grab my shins on the way up. I also sort of whipped myself up, pushing in on my shins, and then standing.

After the initial memory and adaptation was built, i let go of my shins and up i went. As i built more strength, my roll got softer and i ended up mastering it at week 11.

MT Nordic

it's all about getting the shins close in to your butt, get them under you as you're coming down to your feet.  Then, like RJS said, it's easy once you get the muscle memory ticking.

liorbialik

so in deck squats you are using the momentum gained from the roll to help yourself getting up.

what that means is that the "stronger" you roll, the easier it will be for you to stand up (having more momentum).

 

the athlete in the video has enough power in the legs, so his swing is not that strong (he doesn't need the rolling's help to get up)

 

some practical tips to get a stronger roll:

1) like the guys said above - using your hand, when rolling back to the beginning of the squat, pull your shins towards the butt. the stronger you pull, the more momentum you'll gain.

2) in the first part of the roll (rolling away from the standing point) you can raise your legs up towards the ceiling. when coming back keep doing no. 1. 

its important to emphasize that when you straighten the legs, the must be kept horizontal while rolling backwards and not let them go past your head because it will slow you down.

3) keep the feet together and not separate. the Ex. works also on increasing the ankles' range of motion, which is not as deep when separating the feet.

 

 

if the explanation is not as good, i could upload a video later.

 

good luck!

federicoC

in addition, try the following breathing scheme: inhale during the roll back, and heavily breath out during the roll forward.

E70

You can also start doing deck squats on an elevated mat. I had the same problem and I used a mat that was about two to three inches higher from the ground. Just make sure that your foot is stepping onto the ground, not onto the mat. The mat allowed me to keep my form intact and it was easier. Eventually I didn't need the mat and was able to do them off the floor.

Matt Ferg

Rachel Miner, I feel your pain. I just started Foundation 1 (purchased it a week ago) and I just finished going through all the exercises to see where exactly I stand strength/mobility/flexibility wise. I came to the same point as you were I had enough of a base to complete almost all the exercises except deck squats!! I felt like I had to whip myself up to make it work.

I am also a (relatively) heavier guy - 6' 200lb. So having the coordination for me is more of an issue, but i'm getting there. Im resorting to using the shin pull technique that RJS emphasized. 

However, one question I do have in regards to this exercise is where should I be placing the weight of my body once I do get onto my feet? Coming into this from a strong olympic lifting background, when squatting or coming up from that bottom position, I have always been taught to drive my heels through the floor on the initial push at the bottom position. I realize that due to the position my lower body is in as i roll onto my feet, that using my heels to push from the bottom position is very difficult due to ankle flexibility. Driving from my heels is second nature though. Should I be conditioning myself to drive from the heels or perhaps more on the forward balls of my feet? I assume the actual single leg squat will have a heel drive at the bottom as well? I just don't want to set myself up for failure later.

If I'm going to do this I'm going to do this right and do it right the first time :D Thanks again!

MT Nordic

Definitely drive from the heels. It does require more ankle mobility and that's one of the sticking points for people. Working on sitting in a squat during the day and other ankle related mobility will help. You will need this as you move toward the full single leg squat. It's much safer for your knees also if you drive from the heels and it isolates the work much better to the glutes. Glute activation is another thing missing from a lot of people starting foundation. With your oly background that is probably not your issue.

Matt Ferg

Thanks MT Nordic!

I kinda figured as much. Ya glute activation is defiantly not so much an issue as I have achieved glute activation at a prison like mastery level over the years!

Joking aside, I do see what you mean. I will be sure to supplement ankle flexibility and mobility exercises during the day in a lower position. 

It was just two weeks ago I 5lb PR'd my back squat to 335lb. Starting this program however, has been extremely humbling for sure!

 

Rachel, I hope you kick this exercise's butt! I'll meet you at SLS/PE2 soon enough!!!

Rachel Miner

Thank you so much!  I tried everything and was still getting stuck until I pulled out my kid's old crib mattress (like the mat suggested).  Those few inches gave me enough help that I can do it.  Woo hop!  Ready for the first day tomorrow!

David Creekmore

I also find the looking down at the floor as I'm rolling to my feet keeps my head tucked and discourages me from getting up before I have my feet square.  

I'm just a few months into F1, and I can only do these cleanly about half the reps.  It has gotten better though.  It's very much a technique thing, not so much about power. 

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

I found the technique of using my hands to pull in my shins to work great...  David is right, it's very much a technique thing. Where before I was working so hard to fling myself forward, now when I get my feet and ankles in tight, it's a breeze :)

 

Cam