I'm not there yet with the swivel hips, so I still have probably another 8 weeks on this - just wanted to get some coaching points.
This was my test for mastery of pushups (HBP/PE2) with the first set and final set being shown. Thoughts?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Jonathan Horowitz, May 2, 2014 · 9 Replies · 267 Views
I'm not there yet with the swivel hips, so I still have probably another 8 weeks on this - just wanted to get some coaching points.
This was my test for mastery of pushups (HBP/PE2) with the first set and final set being shown. Thoughts?
Scap shrugs look pretty good. I would maybe slow them down a hair, but more importantly watch for the bent arms. You want to make sure this movement is coming exclusively from the scaps/shoulders, not the elbows at all. For me focusing on pushing into the ground hard even on the descent fixes this.
The push ups are definitely not mastered with that last set...but considering how I'm still on PE1, I hate you anyway
. I would keep repeating that last micro until your endurance builds up, making that last set unbroken. Others have said focusing strongly on the scap shrug movement, especially for the descent, helped a lot as you are using other muscles(proper ones) and not just going 100% arms.
So the brief pauses at the top of the last 7 or so reps cause it to be considered "broken" even though I didn't lose form at all?
AFAIK yes. It looks like you're almost there though, maybe even one more cycle through. If you break tempo, it is considered a fail. I imagine there is a little leeway, but not that much. I use a metronome to make sure I'm not just trying to speed up my earlier reps to hopefully eek out the last ones.
Jonathan Horowitz said:So the brief pauses at the top of the last 7 or so reps cause it to be considered "broken" even though I didn't lose form at all?
In addition your lower back is arched from the start, which is a no no for mastery. you should eliminate that by focusing more on ppt.
You should stay hollow even doing pushups, because HBP/PE3 PPP you MUST to stay hollow the entire time. Even HBP/PE1 should be doing with a hollow body. EVERYTHING IS HOLLOW!
For sPL/iM, completely agree with TANSTAALF.
TANSTAAFL said:Scap shrugs look pretty good. I would maybe slow them down a hair, but more importantly watch for the bent arms. You want to make sure this movement is coming exclusively from the scaps/shoulders, not the elbows at all. For me focusing on pushing into the ground hard even on the descent fixes this.
The push ups are definitely not mastered with that last set...but considering how I'm still on PE1, I hate you anyway
. I would keep repeating that last micro until your endurance builds up, making that last set unbroken. Others have said focusing strongly on the scap shrug movement, especially for the descent, helped a lot as you are using other muscles(proper ones) and not just going 100% arms.
So I should initiate the push up with a scapular shrug?
Richard Sassoon said:In addition your lower back is arched from the start, which is a no no for mastery. you should eliminate that by focusing more on ppt.
Adriano Augusto said:You should stay hollow even doing pushups, because HBP/PE3 PPP you MUST to stay hollow the entire time. Even HBP/PE1 should be doing with a hollow body. EVERYTHING IS HOLLOW!
For sPL/iM, completely agree with TANSTAALF.
I'll take a video when I go in today and will explore getting into the hollow position and doing the push ups from there. I'll post it here later for feedback. Thanks for everything, fellas.
Jonathan Horowitz said:So I should initiate the push up with a scapular shrug?
Yes. It doesn't need to be as exaggerated as the scap shrug at the top or bottom, but you should be using those muscles to help you out, which teaches recruitment of those muscles plus gives your arms a little less action.
I was about to make a post complaining about how difficult this has become and I googled your username to try to figure out what it meant. How very fitting for my mindset at that moment.
Couple that with the fact that my custom fitted shirts are all about to split at the wrists, biceps, traps, and lats and that people keep telling me that I look like I'm doing crossfit again (hell no) - I'd say I have all the proof I need that these last 6 months have paid off and I should keep at it.
Highly recommend Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Sci-fi classic.
As for it being hard, I thought so at first, but once you get used to it, it's not so bad. Remember it doesn't need to be a full on shrug, just that you are consciously using those muscles to start and end the rep a little. It will get easier.