This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

skiers? what do they stretch?

Started by Jay B., May 1, 2014 · 2 Replies · 261 Views

Jay B.

I've searched the forums a few different ways and it looks like I'm the only guy having trouble with skiers.

 

I have no idea what they're supposed to be stretching. One forum post talked about keeping the feet falt instead of coming up on the blade of the foot. I've been pointing my hips/torso diagonally and simply doing a close squat, but I'm not really feeling what aspect of mobility it's supposed to improve.

 

Are there movement cues I'm missing? Back straight/arched/rounded? Weight on toes/heels?

 

Thanks in advance.

SoyeBoy

Well don't feel so bad as I have trouble with these too.

If you have bad ankle mobility it will be difficult to reach the required depth on these. Calf tightness will also limit this movement, but this is mostly an extension of / in addition to the ankle issues. You certainly don't want a rounded back - stay as upright as possible, with weight on the heels. No heel lift allowed for mastery.

I'd recommend some dedicated work on your ankles and calves as a first port of call. Re-assess if this isn't working for you.

Jon Douglas

I get it all in the outside of the hips. Took me a while to feel them much, but now they are one of my most underrated exercises.