This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Complementing F1/H1 with weightlifting

Started by Michael Korczowski, May 1, 2014 · 3 Replies · 210 Views

Michael Korczowski
Hi all, this is my first post to the forum. I did some searching and didn't find anything in the foundation forum that felt satisfying.

 

I'm currently returning to F1 and H1 after a roughly six week break during which I trained with an olympic weightlifting team. Prior to that I was training F1 (a bit haphazardly) for about a month.

 

I am now re-committing to the GB curriculum, but I don't want to totally abandon weightlifting.

 

There are two areas of disharmony that I can discern based on a couple weeks of overlap during which I did weightlifting M/W/F and attempted F7 T/T/S:

 

- Arch (and to lesser extent hollow) holds make it tough to maintain posture (spinal extension) in the pull phase of snatch & clean on a following day.

 

- SLS work conflicts with front & back squats

 

I'm wondering if anyone has found success (or tried valiantly and failed) to at least maintain their olympic WL practice (not necessarily setting lots of PRs) while also progressing the F7 elements. What might such a template look like?

 

I'd love for someone to tell me they've had success doing something like

 

1 day of Snatch + Front squat

1 day of Clean & Jerk + back squat

 

or something like that...

 

+2-3 days F1/H1

 

I'd be curious to know what that weekly template would look like.

 

But I won't hold my breath. These are both super demanding modalities.

 

I guess the main gap I feel from F7 training is explosive hip extension. SLS feel great for loading the knees but for me the hips are left feeling a bit under-trained.

 

Maybe just replace WL with hill sprints and barbell hip thrusts?

Michael Korczowski

Here were my initial thoughts... would take care of the impact of arch holds on snatch & clean posture, and for now my SLS is at an easy enough progressive element that it wouldn’t be hard to get the work done the day after barbell squatting 

 

Mon: Snatch + front squat

Tue: F7 + hill sprints

Wed: H1

Thu: Clean & jerk + back squat

Fri: F7

Sat: H1 + low intensity cardio

Sun: recovery work

Riku Calderón
Michael Korczowski said:

Here were my initial thoughts... would take care of the impact of arch holds on snatch & clean posture, and for now my SLS is at an easy enough progressive element that it wouldn’t be hard to get the work done the day after barbell squatting 

 

Mon: Snatch + front squat

Tue: F7 + hill sprints

Wed: H1

Thu: Clean & jerk + back squat

Fri: F7

Sat: H1 + low intensity cardio

Sun: recovery work

Cant see this happening. Too much work.

Nigel

Hi Michael

 

I have had the same problem. Over the winter I have been in many climbing competitions and found that my dual efforts at F1 and training and timing for the comps were not doing me any favours. Now the comps are over, I'm back on F1, and in the last week of F1PE2. I was in a holding pattern, doing week 9 over and over every week or two.

 

Now I'm trying to integrate my training for both, and have found that getting the GB work done before midday leaves me enough energy for later on. It takes about 40 minutes for me to do the longest sessions.

 

When I start F1PE3 next week, I'm going to skip the first 4 weeks as I felt I lost quite a bit of training momentum going from PE1 to PE2.

 

I'm not sure if this is the answer as the GB work does have a weakening effect. Maybe one week GB, one week other, but it's hard to say. I think for the gymnasts, they do the GB work and then spend hours doing regular gymnastics, so perhaps the focus should be on doing the GB work straight after warming up, then moving on to other things. When the same muscles are being stressed after GB as during GB, then some balance is needed between the two clashing exercises, maybe alternate 1 week GB and 1 week weightlifting and see if you fall behind on either routine (assuming they're both progressive overload type routines).

 

Not much help, but at least I exercised my fingers.

 

Nigel