This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Quitting foundation...

Started by mlaen, April 30, 2014 · 13 Replies · 852 Views

mlaen

... for a while.

 

I had my MRI results checked by a few doctors, talked to a few other PTs, trainers etc. and it seams that I have quite a few issues with my psoas muscles, weak back stabilization muscles and a few others...

Tomorrow I'm doing a tests for all this and after that I'll know more...

 

I'm putting foundation work to a pause for a while until I resolve this issues since by back used to get tight quite often and it would cause back pain that lasted up to a few days... It seams to me that F1 work is currently doing me more harm than good...

 

I hope to be back as soon as possible :)

Jennifer

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble.     Take care and you'll be back in no time.

LateStarter@46

Ditto, and let us know how you're getting on.

Sascha Faltinger

i had a lot problems with my right psoas muscle. since i practice squatting with flat feet for long time my psoas feels much more free than ever. try it an see if it works for you.

i startet with resting squat about 3-5 min a day. had big trouble in hip, left knee, ankles and t-spine.

now, after just 2 month i am nearly painfree. and i mean i just rested in squat for 30 min.

this position gets more and more comfortable.

please try it!!

Bipocni

I'd be interested to hear how you're planning to fix these problems.  Aren't there already specific exercises in F1 that address the back stabilisers and the psoas?

Keegan
Bipocni said:

I'd be interested to hear how you're planning to fix these problems. Aren't there already specific exercises in F1 that address the back stabilisers and the psoas?

Yeah, I also find it interesting that you feel that quitting Foundation (even momentarily) is the best course of action to fix issues with your Psoas and strengthen lower back stabilizers since Foundation has both highlighted and improved both areas in myself dramatically (as well as highlighting and strengthening quite a few other "weak links" in my kinetic chain). This has also been a huge ego killer in myself though and definitely an exercise in patience.

I'm not necessarily trying to deter you from following your plan, just curious to know your plan that you feel will work better.

mlaen

When I find out exactly what causes my back pain I'll reintroduce elements that I can execute safely and are not hurting me. It is very likely that psoas is not my only problem.

 

ps

if my stabilizers are not firing in the right moment their strength don't matter much right? I don't think F1 helps me with these issues

Alan Tseng

First thing to find out what causes the back pain would I guess be to check your hollow and arch and see whether they're causing pain.

The Hansenator

As great as Foundation is, it doesn't necessarily address the specific needs of a patient. If a stabilizing muscle isn't firing, you have to address that before you can do larger movements.

Keegan
mlaen said:

When I find out exactly what causes my back pain I'll reintroduce elements that I can execute safely and are not hurting me. It is very likely that psoas is not my only problem.

ps

if my stabilizers are not firing in the right moment their strength don't matter much right? I don't think F1 helps me with these issues

That makes sense.

What exercises are you doing to help you activate your back stabilizers?

Nigel

Had a few back problems myself from too many years sitting hunched over a computer screen. It took a long time to correct through very light exercises and stretching. I seem to remember doing something with a physio to correct muscle timing which involved tensing muscles while coming out of a crouch to teach the correct firing sequence to my forgetful back. It may have been Alexander technique or something similar. When I first started F1, I put my back out doing the stiff legged windmills. Sigh. I still have problems, but they are tiny compared to what they were, and I'm sure the back strength built by F1 is a major part of it.

Mark Collins

What did the MRI show?

All of my back pain patients are now doing some variations of foundation exercises to help with their recovery. It is amazing how they respond to these exercises. I have patients with terrible backs and some of them are 70-80 yrs old. I have scaled some the exercises down to really easy versions so they can exercise pain free and progress.

By what you have said it sounds like the last thing you should do is quit foundation. There are plenty of people here that can help with ideas on how to keep going whilst doing your rehab.

ausswe

I felt a lot o pain in my back due to psoas and couldn't do things like mn pes and arch holds cause way to much pain even fl early pes hurt a. Bit so had to take some rest time from foundation as well. I realised later the reason I had the pain in he first place was from trying to stretch it. Stoped stretching and continued with foundation and have never felt stronger or more mobile :)

Igor Czerniawski

You don't stop, you do some other stuff that don't aggravate the problem. I'm having back fusion operation later on this year., and even though l -chin ups are out of question, I still can work on front levers. Find exercises that you can do while recovering, don't quit fundation.