This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Should we stay away from handstand completely?

Started by Jukkaboy, April 29, 2014 · 7 Replies · 499 Views

Jukkaboy

So I'm currently about to start PE3, I have no trouble doing the wall handstand in PE7 though, however my mobility lacks in regards to the dislocate work. Is it advised that we stay away from stomach-to-wall HS work completely until adequate mobility is achieved?

I'm thinking more along the lines of building some straight arm strength related to the handstand...

Alessandro Mainente

yes

wheezer

I'm in the same situation JB. Very keen to get against the wall but I'm patiently mastering the dislocate first.

Doesn't stop me from playing with it on my rest days, though.

Jon Douglas

It does make quite a noticeable difference.

Plus dislocates are a very useful exercise to spend quality time with in their own right :)

The Hansenator
alex87 said:

yes

My dislocate mobility is still lacking in the rear position but my overhead mobility is pretty good, my arms go up past my ears and all. Why would handstand work be ill advised?

Art Vandelay

I think its a bit ridiculous to advise someone to stay away from it completely, and I doubt any coach would recommend this. At the very least play around with a couple sets of it after you've completed your programmed work.

Joshua Slocum

Like Art said. Feel free to give yourself some "play" time, but for now you should only be putting serious work into your mobility and bodyline drills.

Jukkaboy

I'll do some stomach to wall handstand after my regular H1 work then, thanks guys:)