This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090508

Started by Coach Sommer, May 8, 2009 · 10 Replies · 1,260 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20090508.jpg

Perform:

12 cycles of XR Strap HS

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Each cycle consists of 30 work followed by 45 seconds of rest. Go directly from one cycle to the next with no additional rest.

2) Do not come down during the 30 seconds of HS.

3) To perform XR Strap HS drop your Xtreme Rings down to 6â€-8†from the ground. Now kick up into a handstand widely straddling your legs so that they wrap around the straps. Straighten and lock your arms as much as possible and begin timing your HS.

4) If you are more advanced, the XR Strap HS can be made much more physically demanding by placing your feet along the inside of the straps rather than wrapping your legs around the straps.

5) If XR Strap HSs are currently too demanding, perform Wall HS instead, although every effort should be made to complete the workout with XR Strap HS.

Blairbob

The strap HS on SR is not too demanding but pretty much anything on rings aggravates my chest ( I believe there I incurred a slight tear across the breastbone in some dipping exercises or dip heavy workout in mid April [ I've been laying off but I'm gonna take another 2-3 weeks off support phase, however HS support stuff does not effect nor does planche though dips and swinging do and sometimes pushups or holding heavy objects in my arms ).

In anycase, should I just stick with the 30-45 on the wall or try to make it more difficult somehow? Extend the duration?

Again, anything in HS doesn't aggravate it. PH support does, PB and single rail stuff is ok till it's swinging, most pushups don't but pushing from the floor from a dead stop does and ring support does as does BL ( but not FL ). Sleeping on it does as well.

Thanks, coach.

Coach Sommer
Blairbob said:
In anycase, should I just stick with the 30-45 on the wall or try to make it more difficult somehow?

In lieu of your injury, rather than making the workout more difficult, I would recommend simply staying with the prescribed XR Strap HS as they are not too demanding for you. Or perhaps even skipping the workout all together. In this instance less may be more. Remember that your primary goal is to allow your body to heal; all other goals are secondary to this primary focus.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alex Dienaar

Hope you recover soon Blairbob ^^.

I did the cycles toned down to my current abilities but tried to stay true as much as possible.

Held the first 6 cycles for 15 seconds and used the 15 leftovers + 45 seconds as rest. Next 5 were 10 seconds + 50 seconds rest, Last one was about 7 seconds and a crash into the line of pillows I put on the floor just in case :D. So ended up doing the same amount of time total as perscribed, but scaled down.

Probably going to go for 15 work-60sec rest until that is solid, and then go for 20-55, when that's solid 25-50 etc and build up that way to be able to do this workout fully^^

Coach Sommer
Alex Dienaar said:
I did the cycles toned down to my current abilities but tried to stay true as much as possible.

Held the first 6 cycles for 15 seconds and used the 15 leftovers + 45 seconds as rest. Next 5 were 10 seconds + 50 seconds rest, Last one was about 7 seconds and a crash into the line of pillows I put on the floor just in case . So ended up doing the same amount of time total as perscribed, but scaled down.

Probably going to go for 15 work-60sec rest until that is solid, and then go for 20-55, when that's solid 25-50 etc and build up that way to be able to do this workout fully^^

Great idea!

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Blairbob

I am very cautious that the instability of the rings will aggravate my chest even if it's a HS and not support. I'll work the 30-45 on the wall and call it good.

Jason Stein

Coach Sommer,

What would be progressions from 12x @ 30 work/45 rest?

Increase reps to 14/16/18x?

Decrease rest intervals, i.e. 30w/40 rest/30 rest, etc, etc?

Increase work intervals, i.e. 40w/45r, 45w/45r, etc, etc?

regards,

jason

RKen

Had to post because I am so happy...

After months of failure and the intimidation of getting into a handstand on rings, I finally did it today!

And it was mostly fear of a serious fall, because my lower back and shoulders were more stable than I thought (a clear benefit from the consistent RLL and handstand work). The kick up was minimal, and I hope to eliminate it completely.

To Coach and all of the experienced guys on this board who take the time to help all of us rookies:

THANK YOU for all that you do.

- Michael

Coach Sommer

My pleasure, I am happy to be able to help. There is truly nothing quite like the feeling of finally achieving a new skill that you that you have been diligently working on for some time 8).

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Richard Duelley

Its the end of the semester for me and that means . . . FINALS :shock: So, the gym has been closed and team practices have been postponed until after memorial day (the building the gym is in is closed for maintenance and cleaning). I also just finished a SS cycle on Friday so I will just be doing the workouts of the day until the gym opens up again. My body has also been crying for a break so I am going to give it one.

So I did 12 x 30 second wall wrist (chest to the wall) handstands and the 2x10 wrist pushups, yesterday. I tried to hang my rings on my pull-up tower for the ring HS but the thing tried to flip over on me when I kicked up into the handstand :roll:

Ryan Hutchins

I started doing my cycles. I don't have rings close to the floor. So i had to do a MU everytime i got up on the rings. Which gets considerably harder after every round. I could only do 6 rounds before parents night out started and the little kids wouldn't leave me alone. So i'll finish the other 6 today i think. Actually i'll probably do the 12 rounds since the difficulty on paralletes is considerably easier. Also... Is it ok to do a partial handstand on the rings in straddle or piked and hold it? My rings aren't adjustable so i don't have that much clearance at home.