This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Replacement or tools for RC/PE1 (hinge row)

Started by Carsten Ringe, April 28, 2014 · 7 Replies · 230 Views

Carsten Ringe

Hi all,

 

I'm starting Foundation One today and because I'm doing this at home/outside I'm wondering if there is any replacement exercise or any tools I can use to to RC/PE1?

 

At home I don't have access to rings (or other pull up equipment). I tried to use 2 chairs and pull myself up in between, but that doesn't work well enough to count as a proper replacement in my book... any tips?

jwalker497

Hang Rings froma pull up bar that you can fit in a door jam 

meras

if you don't have any pullup equipment then the RC progression will be difficult. But it doesn't have to be. You can hang rings from a tree, or a staircase or anything that you can tie a rope to granted that it bears weight. Investing in a pair of rings would also be a very smart move if you want to do foundation.

Carsten Ringe
jwalker497 said:

Hang Rings from a pull up bar that you can fit in a door jam 

Uh, that sounds like the easiest solution! Maybe I can add rings to that for my progression too. At least the hang/pull movements would be possible with that I guess. Thanks for the tip, I'll consider that.  :)

 

meras said:

if you don't have any pullup equipment then the RC progression will be difficult. But it doesn't have to be. You can hang rings from a tree, or a staircase or anything that you can tie a rope to granted that it bears weight. Investing in a pair of rings would also be a very smart move if you want to do foundation.

True. I can use a rope on a playground nearby. I also have access to rings in my crossfit box, maybe I should schedule my foundation classes before/after my crossfit classes... Thanks for the advice.

MattProulx

You can hang rings from a bar using your attic opening, every place has an attic unless you live in an apartment. This is where I hang my rings in my house and in my garage.

Carsten Ringe
MattProulx said:

You can hang rings from a bar using your attic opening, every place has an attic unless you live in an apartment. This is where I hang my rings in my house and in my garage.

Unfortunately I live in an apartment without attic or garage, but I do have a decent basement about 2m high that I use as a weight room too. It's too low to do any standing overhead presses, but I guess I could add rings there, even if it's only for the pull progressions and l-sits later.

 

How's the height of your attic or garage? Do you think there's a minimum height I should have or is the benefit of having rings available  to me enough to just buy them?

meras

You'll eventually move on to not just pulling work on the rings. I sometimes hang my rings in a dorway and that's enough for me right now. If you go to a crossfit box then you could schedule your workouts in (I'd worry about overtraining though). Personally I like the conveniece of having a set of my own rings that I can play around with whenever.

Yomper

When travelling I would sometimes lie under a table or desk in my hotel room to do high rep pull ups holding onto the edge of the table. Not ideal but better than not doing anything. :-)