Crazy idea for developing a Cross and Cross pullout

Started by VegasMoe, January 18, 2008 · 18 Replies · 5,101 Views

VegasMoe

At least 15 years ago I had an idea for developing an iron cross and a cross pullout. I've never actually tried this, however I'm pretty sure it will work, and it would be a really fun way to develop tremendous ring strength.

Here's the idea.

Install a set of rings a few inches above the water level of a swimming pool. It would be relatively easy to perform a "muscle up" and hold a support position. From there a person could quite easily lower into a cross position because of the amount of weight a person loses when they are in the water. It should be relatively easy to perform an Iron Cross because a person's bodyweight would be a great deal less than their actual weight. As they pullout back into a support position their weight actually increases which therefore develops the correct muscles for the skill. Over time as one develops the strength all they have to do is raise the level of the rings a few inches at a time until their feet are just barely touching the water from a support position.

Again, it's just a crazy idea and I've always wanted to try it. I just don't have a swimming pool.

I guess this would also be a wonderful way to develop One Arm chins with an adjustable pull up bar above a swimming pool also.

John Sapinoso

i had a similar idea, but the closest i came to testing it was to do do crosses on two floaty noodles...which is ridiculously easy since you are entirely submerged in the water

Stutz4Life

That would be interesting to test, but I wouldn't be sure on how easy it would be. It would depend upon just how much weight you actually lose when you body is in water. I would like to try it sometime.

glwanabe

I've been working on my shoulder strength from several angles.

For strength in, " cross" training, I'm doing side laterals, but holding the weight at the top of the movement. Not going really heavy with the weight right now. I really feel this in my biceps. I try for 4 sets of about 15-20 seconds.

I've been doing this move for a about 4 weeks. I can already feel a difference in my arms, and I can see that gymnast arm profile beginning to emerge. My shoulders are coming along as well.

Utilizing this site I have been able to approach my workouts with a whole new renewed enthusiasm. I'm experiencing better gains, denser muscle mass, and working harder than I have in a long time.

My youngest daughter loves coming out in the garage with me and getting into the frog.

kbryk

With these side laterals are you sitting down or hanging upside down, if you are sitting down you are help developing strength that will aid in the iron cross but you should be handing upside down and doing the side laterals because then it is pushing strength rather than a pressing.

Oh yeah I can vouch for you there kids love gymnastics, and are always ready to try a handstand or a frog stand, every time I'm at the beach the kids come around to watch and join in.

Sorry if I am thread stealing.

glwanabe

Kbryk,

I'm performing them standing. These are to strengthen my biceps attachments, as well as the rest of my shoulder area. While my Deltoids are getting worked and are getting stronger, I will need to hang from my chin bar to isolate them better. I did find Coach's article on the inverted laterals move, yesterday.

I'm also doing flyes, and holding the position at the bottom. I know it is not the exact same stress angle, but it will start the process of building attachment strength.

Holding the weights in these static positions puts a new stress on my body. I'm taking it slowly , I'm not as young as I used to be. Still, I'm responding well. My strength is returning, and that is what I really want.

I stated back into training a few months back. I severely broke my wrist, last year. Dr. was not sure if I would ever be able to even do a pushup again. I have worked hard to get my arm back to where I was last year.

In the process of searching the web, and gathering infomation I came across this site. I'm adapting and using the Coach's idea's to suit the equipment that I have at home.

I have a set of rings ordered. Looking forward to getting back on a set after not being on them in about 28 years. I spent a couple of years in high schoold doing basic stuff, but it was a lot of fun. Already being familier with tumbling made performing skydiving tumbling moves a blast.

Tumbling moves in freefall are a lot of fun! I highly suggest you try it.

Scott Malin

The pool idea's interesting--I'll rig something up at my folks' pool and let you all know how it goes!

Valentin

Hi

haha i love the idea, very creative. However definitely not something you can setup easily, especially in an gym haha. I bet you would get every kid wanting to learn the cross haha.

How about just doing using the good old fashion rig system. Like in this vid

kbryk

Yup that's another way, pulley system; the best way to do it without a spotter is therabands and cross pull ups.

Scott Malin

The setup isn't too bad at a home pool aside from figuring out how to keep the rings stable from the overhead line.I played with some heights today and it seems like it will work, though it feels really weird not having to carry all my weight.

Valentin

Hi

If you can, can you make a vid of your final setup. It would be very interesting to see it in action. The principle is good, and i like the concept, so it would be nice to see it in action

Scott Malin

Sure, I can do it this weekend if not sooner.

David Picó García

my cross is very (VERY) rudimentary so if i go to a corner of a swining pool a can hold the cross only supporting with my hands on the border, so almost all my body is underwater (to chest level). That way i can hold the cross, so there is a lot of hard word out to do to arrive a real cross :oops:, but i think the idea of the swiming pool is great (although i think is the same aproach as with therabands as the deeper you go with the cross more assit you have)

Gregor

SIde laterals are good in gymnastics only for rehabilitation and not for iron cross, beacuse there is no conection in movement. In iron croos you must push the weight down and not vice-versa.

In other hand side lateral with palms upside down from above your had, is good for iron cross. But here is a cech, wach your line. If you go to much forward, you'll stimulate more chest (inverted iron cross like jovchev). so it must in the line.

Gregor

Why are you trying with a pool????It's easier with a spotter and much more efective.

The cable sistem is good just for a while, then you must put some weight around belt!!! If you won't....

kbryk

A side lateral is when the palms are facing up it then works a pressing rather than a pulling movement such as a side deltoid raise, but you should be working these upside down to truly simulate a cross pressing movement, the other would be a side deltoid raise, like Gregor said nothing beats a spotter, but you must be careful I remember when I started working the cross with a spotter I was eager to get going on the skill and ended up hurt my left deltoid.

And I would think a counter weight system would work better for cross practice compared to the pool system you guys are talking about, things work a lot differently under water.

Gregor

You can use inner tube to (from bike's wheel). So grab one end with the left and one and of inner tube with the right hand, then in support just step on in the midlle.

David Picó García
Why are you trying with a pool????

Because it's summer!!! Its not a serious training its a game when you are swiming :P

Gregor

ok :lol: for a second I thought you're serious :lol::lol: