Shoulder positioning for Optimal Back Layout

Started by FrancescoCaban, April 27, 2014 · 2 Replies · 799 Views

FrancescoCaban

   Video question.  Thank you Movement Enthusiasts. 

 

Francesco Caban

 

Tao of Movement

 

 

 

Coach Sommer

To initiate rotation in a simple back layout; from overhead pull the arms out and down to the sides like a cross pull with a tight, straight torso.  This will greatly increase the speed of your backward rotation.

 

Pulling the arms down in the front (old school style) pulls your shoulders forward at the same time you are attempting to rotate your lower body backward.  In essence your upper and lower body run into each other; this greatly slows rotation unless you are very experienced.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

FrancescoCaban

A great visualization for me. Thanks coach. I`ve seen that method a lot when watching tumbling and trampoline, I just thought it was a visually cleaner way to do the same skill, I didn't know it was actually a more efficient way to flip. Saving up for one of your seminars. Thanks for being there for us. Much love. Francesco.