This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundations One: equipment

Started by Ian Liebold, April 27, 2014 · 9 Replies · 475 Views

Ian Liebold

I just purchased Foundations One and briefly checked the exercise progressions of the movements. I noticed that as the weeks progress, some of the exercises require equipment such as rings, bars etc.
I am not a gym member and don't have most at the equipment that I saw on the videos. Are there any recommendations for necessary equipment? Also, if it's not feasible for me the get some of the equipment (like the side plank rack) are there any substitutions in equipment which are more common to the layman and equally as good?

Thanks. Ian

Bipocni

Yeah you can find workarounds for most of the equipment.  A towel will do for starters...

Jon Douglas

Workarounds are pretty easy. In F4 you will *require* stall bars of some sort and a rope, but up until then I've been fine using a local playground.

Now I have a rope, but I still use a local playground for the bars :)

In the F1 product forum there is also an FAQ that some sterling upstanding individual wrote with more detail and ideas for substitution.

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Hello, fellow athletes,

 

I thought this would be the best place to ask this as I looked for this information on F1 forum for the last 2,5 hours with no luck.

 

I am very much concerned about some leg raising exercises, dips and especially pike walks in manna development. I have nothing like stall bars and my appartament has low ceiling (I'm 187 cm tall ant I can reach the ceiling with my fingertips). I have a doorway pull up but I have to keep my knees bent if I don't want to touch the ground at the bottom while doing pull ups or just hanging. And believe me, there are no parks around where I could find a training station with proper height or width equipment. So here are my questions:

 

Has anyone have any idea of how to substitute stall bars? Especially for pike walks? I would definitelly use a sink but there is simply not enough room for me to fit between a sink and a counter, so sink in the kitchen doesn't help. I thought about putting a barbell or portable pull bar on a tree but Scottish winters are like freezing heavy rain 24/7. If this has already been answered, please post a link here, I couldn't find it.

 

Is it OK to have knees bent while doing 1/2 Hanging Leg Lift until the point where I can extend them?
 

The only dip station I have an access to is a bit lower than my hips and it is just slightly wider than hips making support position feel very unnatural. I have to bent my legs there as well while doing a dip, it this OK?

 

And the last one: while searching for answers to these questions I found out that there will be a Russian Dip in F2 so is a narrow dip station suitable for this?

Joshua Slocum

For pike walks, another forum member had a brilliant idea. Get a sturdy dowel, and put it on one side of a doorway. Hold on to it while walking your feel down the other side of the doorway. You may need to do some experimenting/modification of this technique to get it just right. 

 

Starting your HLL in a slight tuck is fine so long as you're making sure to extend all the way as soon as possible. 

 

Bending your knees in a dip should be fine. 

 

You're going to have to figure something out for F2. There are several dip variations that you may be unable to do. Do you have access to a woodship? Or a gym? 

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Hey, sorry for late reply

 

Rayne-William, unfortunatelly I this thread was unable to answer my prayers, hehe. Thanks anyway ;)

 

Joshua thanks for idea, I will give it a try, a sturdy dowel seems to be a great solution :)

 

As for another questions I think I might have a solution, need to work on a small plastic/metal (or wooden) project for this. If it is succesfull I will let you guys know about it ;)

Rayne-William
Vytautas Pilkauskas said:

Hey, sorry for late reply

 

Rayne-William, unfortunatelly I this thread was unable to answer my prayers, hehe. Thanks anyway ;)

What equipment will I need?

Here is a list of the ideal equipment, with some suggestions for alternatives listed below.

1. A sturdy box or bench high enough that you can lie with your feet hanging down at 90 degrees. You will also need some way to anchor your feet on this; ring straps work very well, but weights, a partner or stall bars can also be used.

2. A pullup bar capable of supporting your weight

3. Adjustable dumbbells for mobility work

- Dumbbells provide the most versatility, however forum members have used kettlebells, water jugs, stones, bricks and more.

4. Access to stall bars

- Any surface at the right height can stand in for stall bars. A sturdy playground ladder is a perfect substitute, however it is also possible to perform many drills on a bench, vertical pole, or even a kitchen sink.

5. Rings

- Rings provide the most versatility and will be required later. For Foundation 1 work, it is possible to substitute with any kind of strap, rope or belt which can be looped over the bar.

6. A heavier weight, ideally an Olympic barbell

- Some drills allow for more resistance. A kettlebell, heavier dumbbell, or even a willing friend may be used for these drills.

7. Floor space

- Tiles or hardwood are not ideal for some drills; a yoga mat can help to make these more comfortable.

Vytautas Pilkauskas

None of these options works for me that's why I asked :)

Rayne-William

I can understand the lack of competent and comparable equipment.

For dips: I have used two chairs with the backs or the seats facing each other.

Don't worry about F2 elements until you get to them.