This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090507

Started by Coach Sommer, May 7, 2009 · 7 Replies · 1,100 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20090507.jpg

Perform the following:

3x5 SLS jumping for height

3x5 GHR

Finish with 60 seconds total aggregate work of a straddle L variation.

notes:

1) Choose a height to go up onto for the jumping SLS that is challenging for the 5 reps.

2) Be careful to choose an object that is strong and stable enough for jumping onto.

3) Add weight if necessary to the GHR

4) Choose a straddle L variation that allows no more than 10 seconds of work to be accomplished at a time. Add weight to the ankles if necessary.

Michael Dwan

As a substitute for the GHR, I can't remember what they were called, they were discussed recently. Basically, your legs are anchored in the same manner, but you are on the floor and go flat to the floor. Would this be okay? I just don't think I can get the elevation for the GHR. I do have access to CrossFits standard GHD device, if that could be used.

Thanks,

Michael.

Blairbob

the floor glute ham with pushup assist is an easier movement than the rx'd. dunno about doing it on a GHD but why not I say and use some weight if it isn't intense enough ( play with this and figure it out ).

I'm going to try this on the pommel horse and putting my achilles inside the pommel but I'm not sure if the distance will be correct so my knee is right on the edge or if it's even possible. For back extensions, I set the PB to my height, hook my ankles under one bar and lean over the other ( while a sting mat is covering that bar ). No spotter. Or I just do the floor glute-ham.

Michael Dwan

Cool, thank you Blairbob. Yeah, I was thinking about doing the floor glute ham without pushup assist, if I can't find anything suitable for the Rx'd movement. I've never done either of these, so I suppose I may find the easier beyond my ability! Hopefully not. Maybe I can come up with a creative elevator and anchor when I get there.

Ryan Hutchins

This always cramps my hammy. But I still did it anyway.

I can only do negative SLS's. They really cause serious pain to my knee that i had to have ACL reconstructive surgery on. Is this something that i should work thru. Or should i back off of the full ROM?

Blairbob

Negative SLS hurt? Sounds like you need to scale it back down. Are you keeping your back flat, chest up, arms out so you are sitting back and not using a lot of ankle and knee flexion?

Ryan Hutchins
Blairbob said:
Negative SLS hurt? Sounds like you need to scale it back down. Are you keeping your back flat, chest up, arms out so you are sitting back and not using a lot of ankle and knee flexion?

I am doing all of those things. But i still feel intense pain in the front of my knee when i do this. I can bang out 5 reps. but man does it hurt. is it a matter of strength, rehab, or maybe both? its been 3 years now.

Coach Sommer

As after 3 years, you continue to experience pain, my recommendation is to discontinue training SLS and either use a significantly easier variation or discontinue the movement altogether. If you continue to ignore the warning signals from your knees, eventually you are going to permanently injure yourself.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer