This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL SE1 - Side Lever Block - Form

Started by J0X, April 27, 2014 · 4 Replies · 390 Views

J0X

Hello guys, I'm having issues with SL SE1. Here's a video of me first trying this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRkYHp0eFKE 

 

Now obviously my form is atrocious but after further tries it still doesn't feel right at all.

A couple of questions, because the course video doesn't show the hold from all angles.

 

-Should my grip be narrower?

-Are the hands supposed to be in the same vertical plane?

-Is the lower shoulder protracted?

-Is the upper shoulder elevated/depressed and protracted?

-Should both shoulders be at approximately the same height?

-Should one strive to bring the body as far away from the bars as possible?

 

My problem is if I try to pull more with the upper arm and bring the shoulders into line while having my hands in the same vertical plane, I either lose balance and rotate to the side or I experience pain in the pulling arm.

 

I simply do not know how to fix this. I'm not sure if it is even a strength problem as i can hold a human flag for maybe 5 seconds.

 

Any input is much appreciated ;)

Niels Joergensen

Hey Georgios

Firstly you need to bring your hands on the same vertical plane. Your hands are currently not, that is why you are twisting to the side. Because of the you cannot protract your scapula and generate that strong push from the bottom hand. 

Regarding the grip width, yes I would say your hands are placed too far apart. You will quickly notice, once you start to press out and into a low side lever, that if your hands are too far apart, you cannot push enough with the bottom hand, as well as pull with the top hand.

Those are your main concerns.

As you become stronger, you will naturally be able to protract your shoulders more and more. The more you can protract the easier it will be to initiate the "twist" into a low side lever.

Have fun with it!

J0X

Thank you very much for your input! 

 

I found that starting in a low flag and then going to block hold helps because it ensures that the vertical alignment is right from the start. I will need to work on this quite a bit to get it nice and clean, it's kind of a weird hold in my opinion ;D

Eric Baum
Georgios Koliopoulos said:

Thank you very much for your input! 

 

I found that starting in a low flag and then going to block hold helps because it ensures that the vertical alignment is right from the start. I will need to work on this quite a bit to get it nice and clean, it's kind of a weird hold in my opinion ;D

Use the wall of the stall bar to align the hands, that's the easiest way =]

Shaolintobbe

i´m also having trouble with the form:

 

Should both scapulas be protracted even though you should pull with the upper arm? Or is the upper arm scapula supposed to be more neutral or retracted?