This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Limited by Mobility

Started by JimV, April 27, 2014 · 7 Replies · 400 Views

JimV

I've just started F1 (and I'm at PE1 for each and every entry.)  I'm starting out at 4 days per week.

 

It looks like I'm going to be more limited by mobility than strength at this point.  Is there any reason that I wouldn't want to repeat some of the mobility work on my off days or even as a second workout and try to move that along?

 

-Jim

 

Ravn

Probably not, although you'd want to take it easy on those IM's that are strength-oriented.

federicoC

No, but I'd rather suggest to get used to the regular program before introducing extra workouts. Or - at least - this is what I'd do.

I wish you all the best for your journey.

Jon Douglas
Ravn said:

Probably not, although you'd want to take it easy on those IM's that are strength-oriented.

I can't remember offhand where they fall, but particularly windmills. Noticed people can easily bite off more than they can chew with these-- an unprepared or previously injured shoulder might not be happy with this movement.

Otherwise, at PE1 level you shouldn't have any issues. As a rule of thumb work mobility harder on your training days (in terms of weight and working through higher perceived level of exertion) and just use it to loosen up and recharge outside of that. This particularly applies to H1 work if you are doing that too :)

JimV

Thanks guys. That makes sense. I was thinking especially about sPL. I can do the strength to mastery, but I'm not even in the neighborhood of doing the Swivel Hips.  If you were to look at me doing swivel hips, you wouldn't know I was doing them. I'd just look like a guy sitting on the floor.

 

Good point about the windmills, too. Thanks.

Oompa2
JimV said:

I'd just look like a guy sitting on the floor.

 

Ah swivel hips... I have been on these for so long I think I could qualify for the Olympic Scapular Shrug team

 

- Callum

emilianop

For what counts I'm the complete opposite... so far every F1 progression I had to reboot, it was because of the strength element, never mobility.

I'm not sure if it's better or worse, but not being advisable to increase strength frequency during off-days, it just left me with basically one single option: stick to the program and shut up.

 

Interestingly enough, H1 is the complete opposite, shoulder mobility has always been the limiting factor, while strength exercises were fine...

oh, hi HS/PE2

 

john_c
JimV said:

Thanks guys. That makes sense. I was thinking especially about sPL. I can do the strength to mastery, but I'm not even in the neighborhood of doing the Swivel Hips.  If you were to look at me doing swivel hips, you wouldn't know I was doing them. I'd just look like a guy sitting on the floor.

 

Good point about the windmills, too. Thanks.

When I first started these August 13 I was exactly the same. So much so that when I showed my boys  (17 & 15) the video and then I showed them me trying to do it they thought I was kidding because I was barely moving, then my youngest boy came over and forced my legs down, the the pain was something else, I would've killed him if I had been able to move !!
I have about 75% of the ROM now so keep going.

 

Oompa2 said:

Ah swivel hips... I have been on these for so long I think I could qualify for the Olympic Scapular Shrug team

 

- Callum

If I was progressing these in a linear fashion I would be up to about 5 x 75 now !!