This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Barry's post ankle op workout log

Started by kinselbj, April 26, 2014 · 10 Replies · 20 Views

kinselbj

Today was my first workout starting the Foundation One course. I got an operation 16 days ago removing a non cancerous tumour from my ankle and I am starting training again for the first time since September. I have not trained properly in the last 7 months aside from some basic calisthenics to maintain body posture and alignment. I played rugby for many years up to National level and then competed in Olympic Weightlifting for five years after. I represented Ireland in last year's European Championships in Albania and at that stage my ankle was so bad, I had to stop weightlifting.

 

So, today was my first day with the Foundation One Couse and I did the following:

 

Front Lever:  Bent Hollow Body Hold--2x 60 seconds and 3rd set of 30 seconds

Mobility: Cat Cow--3 sets

 

Sraddle Planche : Scapular Shrug--3x15

Mobility: Swivel Hips--3x10

 

Side Lever: Arch Body Hold: 2x60 seconds and 3rd set of 30 seconds

Mobility: Standing Hip Circle

 

Short and sweet for today's first session. I will adapt quickly and make my way through the progressions. My hips and shoulders are extremely tight after not training in 7 months, but today is a start in the right direction. 

 

 

Coach Sommer

Welcome!

Remember to be calm and patient in your training. As former high level athletes, we sometimes have a tendency to push ourselves too hard too soon.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

kinselbj

Front Lever:  Bent Hollow Body Hold--4x 60 seconds and 5th set of 30 seconds


Mobility: Cat Cow--5 sets


 


Sraddle Planche : Scapular Shrug--5x15


Mobility: Swivel Hips--5x10


 


Side Lever: Arch Body Hold: 3x60 seconds and 4th set of 30 seconds


Mobility: Standing Hip Circle


 


Short and sweet for my second session. I felt stronger in all the movements aside from the Arch body hold where it is my shouder tightness holding me back, not my back strength. I have started doing should dislocations with a wooden rod and as expected, the movement is tight, but particularly so when keeping the little fingers on the pole which actually strains my wrists a little. Onwards and upwards.

kinselbj

My second session this week went as follows:

 

Upon waking I did 1 minute at the top of the chin up. This was surprisingly hard on the abs. I just about got up to one rep. I need to work up to doing five of these reps.

 

Hollow Back Press: Press Ups--3x15--focusing on full range and getting shoulders down to the ground. The press ups were hard only because of the lack of rest and subsequent muscular endurance; the actual movements were very easy.

Mobility: German Arm Swings--3x10 and no dumbells so just did arm swings.

 

Manna: Tuck Up--3x15

Mobility:  Stiff Leg Windmill--3x5 each side

 

Ground Rows--3x10

Mobility: Lots of the lat stretches off a bar. My lats were not used to the mobility demands at all or the blood flow just from the mobility drills, never mind the rows, which were not hard.

 

 

Side Lever: Arch Body Hold: 3x60 seconds--I did an extra movement with these because they are my biggest weakness.

Mobility: Swivel Hips-3x10

 

Basic ankle rehab and glute med activation work

kinselbj

In morning, 1 minute at the top of the chin up. This is a killer and just about made the minute. Very tough on abs, grip and generally everywhere. Not used to them. Regular chins are easy enough but these are a very different kettle of fish.


 


Front Lever:  Bent Hollow Body Hold--5x 60 seconds--Mastered this skill so will move on.


Mobility: Cat Cow--5 sets of 10 reps each set


 


Sraddle Planche : Scapular Shrug--5x15--Did same as last week but slowed it down more and tried to keep a more precise elbow lock and external rotation. This exercise burns like no tomorrow.


Mobility: Swivel Hips--5x10


 


Side Lever: Arch Body Hold: 5x60 seconds--Got all five sets but my last set had my hands only a few inches off the ground for the last 20-30 seconds. Will do this until I get it right. My shoulders are gradually opening up which helps.


Mobility: Standing Hip Circle


kinselbj

Upon waking I did 40 seconds at the top of the chin up.

 

This afternoon I did the following:

 

 

Ground Rows--4x10 and 5 reps of a fifth set

Mobility: Lots of the lat stretches off a bar.

 

 

Hollow Back Press: Press Ups--4x15 and a fifth set of 10 reps--focusing on full range and getting shoulders down to the ground. The press ups were hard only because of the lack of rest and subsequent muscular endurance; the actual movements were very easy.

Mobility: I did some somatic exercises to open up hips and shoulders.

kinselbj

Front Lever:  Bent Hollow Body Hold--4x 60 seconds


Mobility: Cat Cow--3 sets


 


 


Sraddle Planche : Scapular Shrug--5x15


Mobility: Swivel Hips--5x10


 


 


Side Lever: Arch Body Hold: 3x60 seconds


Mobility: Standing Hip Circle

kinselbj

Day one all over again:


 


Front Lever:  Bent Hollow Body Hold--3x 60 seconds and 3rd set of 30 seconds


Mobility: Cat Cow--4 sets


 


Sraddle Planche : Scapular Shrug--5x15


Mobility: Swivel Hips--5x10


 


Side Lever: Arch Body Hold: 3x60 seconds


Mobility: Standing Hip Circle


 


Deck Squat: 3x15


Skiers: 3x10


 


Manna: Tuck Up: 2x10 and 1x6


Body roll x3


kinselbj

Day 2


 


Front Lever:  Bent Hollow Body Hold--4x 60 seconds


Mobility: Cat Cow--4 sets


 


Sraddle Planche : Scapular Shrug--5x15


Mobility: Swivel Hips--5x10


 


Side Lever: Arch Body Hold: 3x60 seconds and 1x30 seconds


Mobility: Standing Hip Circle


 


Deck Squat: 3x15


Skiers: 3x10


 


Manna: Tuck Up: 2x12 and 1x8


Body roll x3


 


Onwards and upwards


kinselbj

Day 3:

 

Hollow Back Press: Incline Press Ups--3x15, 2x10--focusing on full range and getting shoulders down to the ground. The press ups were hard only because of the lack of rest and subsequent muscular endurance; the actual movements were very easy.

Mobility: German Arm Swings--3x10 and no dumbells so just did arm swings.

 

Manna: Tuck Up--1x15, 1x12, 1x10

Mobility:  Body Roll--3x5

 

Incline Rows--1x15, 2x10

Mobility: Lots of the lat stretches off a bar. My lats were not used to the mobility demands at all or the blood flow just from the mobility drills, never mind the rows, which were not hard.

kinselbj

Day 4:


 


Front Lever:  Bent Hollow Body Hold--5x 60 seconds


Mobility: Cat Cow--4 sets


 


Sraddle Planche : Scapular Shrug--5x15


Mobility: Swivel Hips--5x10


 


Side Lever: Arch Body Hold: 4x60 seconds


Mobility: Standing Hip Circle