This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Chinese Handstands & HS protraction

Started by Micawberian, April 25, 2014 · 1 Replies · 227 Views

Micawberian

Hello,

 

I am moving on to SE's tomorrow! :) few questions:

just curious, or rather I am puzzled, what is the lesson to be learned from chinese handstands? You know, every PE and SE teaches a lesson of sorts, I am not sure what is the point of chinese handstands.

I'm just asking because I don't want to gloss over it, obviously by now 5x60 handstands in itself is old stuff, hehe so I know there is some crucial lesson in the chinese handstands that I am missing. I think the focus is just proper elevation?

Also, how the heck do I get into the position. Allan in the video lifts up to the bar from a tuck. I'm not anywhere capable of that...I figured i could come up back facing and then piroutte around. I tried this, I keep falling...

Second question, I know press handstand is protract + elevate, but I am still really confused about normal handstand holds. I see Handbalancer writes a lot about how protraction is needed in handstand position, but coach doesn't mention it in the course, just to keep the ribs in. Whats the deal?

Art Vandelay

I believe its to learn perfect alignment while only having very limited support for balance, as well as being a cue to maintain scapular elevation and extending the body.

Yeah its pretty hard to get into position for it. Luckily my toes just touch the roof of my garage when in a perfect parallete handstand, so I can do it that way. Alternatively I've been doing wrist wall handstands trying to limit the assistance of the wall and just free balance.