Yet another Placnhe question (different progression approach)

Started by rival11, April 25, 2014 · 4 Replies · 1,580 Views

rival11

Ok, first if you look at the small amount of threads I created you would catch on fast to the fact that I'm in this game to obtain straddle planche.  While I've made good progress (on a good day I can hold a tuck placnhe for 20-25 seconds) I wanted to ask a question on progressions in general.

 

Now, I realize how this may come off and hoping nobody takes this as "Stop being a baby and just do the tuck and advanced tuck holds" but I want to ask as obviously, it's not like I can call Coach Sommer's up to train me any time I want.

 

I simply wanted to ask if you have to or must do the static holds to obtain planche.  I ask this because I love doing elevated straddle leans (put my feet up on a stool or chairs, etc..) I just love how much it kills my arms and how hard I have to fight maintain hollow-body and locked out arm position - I seriously am getting stronger each time I do them (even when I do them after tuck planches) also, I don't know the science behind how static holds improve your cardio\anaerobic (or can we say it's aerobic?) but there really is nothing more rewarding when you can start breathing with less effort from doing the holds for so long - My breathing is getting much smoother/better while in the holds and I wanted to know how this is different from doing a tuck planche vs leaning far forward in an elevated starddle lean.

 

Again, I had to ask this because while I feel much stronger after doing the elevated straddle leans it doesn't mean that they are the most benefical (and ya know, ever since I got into bodyweight exercises, this was a hard lesson learned for sure).

 

I appreciate any helpful replies.

Ravn

Leans are very beneficial, and should stay in your program, at least as a warmup. Technically speaking, leans are also static positions.

The closest you'll get to be able call up Coach is the foundation series, there is a fantastically detailed planche progression in there.

B1214N

It's theoretically possible to achieve straddle planche with planche leans alone, but it's obviously not the best way. You should be doing both, but if I were to pick one than it would be the freestanding planche progressions (tuck, adv tuck, etc.) since they require you to balance on your hands like you would in a real planche.

WitnessTheFitness

There are many ways to acheive a skill--which method is the most efficient is constantly debated, but I'm sure there are people that can acheive planche doing leans and other similar movements instead of the static holds. If that style is more enjoyable to you, and you don't mind the tradeoff in it taking longer, then I don't see any reason not to give it a try. If you become disappointed with your progress you can always just switch back to the most standardized planche training.

rival11

I do really enjoy doing the leans - definitely don't want to sacrifice progress though from not doing it the standard way.  Also today was the fisrt time I started trianing without paralettes - really want to see if I can make good strides by using just my hands - it's super tough during tuck planche holds and not much better in leans as well but I like the feeling as it feels like it's really strengthing my wrists.