My begginer routine

Started by Pablo, May 5, 2009 · 2 Replies · 2,252 Views

Pablo

Regards everybody!

I´ve been working with the XR for a few months now. I´ve been also working the FL and planche progressions. This is my current workout routine. I usually work M-T-Th-F.

Monday and Thursday: these are the light days (no ring work)

15' jumping rope

stretching for the arms and shoulders

3x10 pushups, very slowly.

3x5 pullups, also very slowly

2x30s tuck front lever

2x30s frogstand

Tuesday and friday

3x10 pushups, very slowly.

15' jumping rope

stretching for the arms and shoulders

2x5 pullups, also very slowly

3x30s XR support holds

3x4 bulgarian ring dips OR 3x4 ring pullups (with false grip)

6x1 tuck 360º pulls. Three of them I stop horizontally on the back lever portion and hold for five seconds, then pull back up and into Fl, also hold the FL for 5 seconds. The other three I hold the back lever for five seconds and then lower into german hang, pull back up and into fl for 5 seconds. Always with legs tucked to the chest.

2x30s tuck front lever

2x30s frogstand

stretching for the arms and shoulders

Sometimes I add some basic manna progression work at the end, usually 3x30s "Low straight leg middle split hold".

I started around 1 year ago doing only some jumping rope and the FL and planche progressions. Then roughly 8 or 9 months ago I started doing vary basic ring work when I finally got my rings. I did support holds, (with bent arms at the beggining), rows, push ups, kipping pulls ups, etc.

Now I´ve been working on the previous routine for several weeks, so I guess it´s about time to move on. Any suggestions, commentaries, critiques will be more than welcome. For one thing, I don´t really now what to do with the FL and planche progressions. Should I try to do 40 seconds and then 20, for a few weeks, than 45-15, 50-10 and then try to hold the one minute set?

Just to let you guys now. I feel much stronger than when I started and can hold myself much more stable on the rings. So far I´ve gained 10 lbs of, what seems to me, 100% lean muscle.

Sorry for the long post. Regards,

Fryk

Hola Pablo

I am also new to this, a few this things struck my though, but since I am also new take this with a couple of grains of salt.

First of all the length of your sets. It seems that you tend to do your levers and other iso-metric exercises with very long holds. If I were you I'd go for some harder progressions.

I suppose everything boils down to what your goals are, if it is strength then you might want to cut down on the 10 rep sets and do something harder in the 3-5rep range in stead. I think Coach has already established that his young athletes can do a crazy amount of pull ups though not training for them. Because they simply have built such a great level of strength.

I haven't done ordinary pull ups in a while, instead I am doing wide grip pull ups or wide grip behind pull ups or L-sit pull ups etc. And from my point of view this has given me strength gains that cannot compare with doing high rep pull ups.

You could do some regular pull ups with a dynamic purpose eg. clapping pull ups.

If you look in the Getting Started there are some good threads on designing your own routine. And I suppose that is really where this thread belongs since you haven't posted video or pictures with this thread.

Here is a link to the thread I posted, when I needed some start up help:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1723 , should contain some help.

Also if don't have the book, but have got the cash for a little present to yourself, then by all means do it. It is worth it.

Pablo
if it is strength then you might want to cut down on the 10 rep sets and do something harder in the 3-5rep range in stead

Thanks Fryk. as a matter of fact I only do 4 rep sets for the ring dips and ring pullups, 1 reps sets of the 360º tuck pulls, and 5 rep sets of bar pullups. The only exercise I´m doing for 10 reps is the pushups, since it is a rather simple exercise I use to warm ups. But thanks for you suggestions. I will defenetly keep it low rep and progress towards harder variations and exercises.