This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Advice/help on integrating F1+H1 with Jiu jitsu training.

Started by Warlock, April 24, 2014 · 7 Replies · 347 Views

Warlock

Hey guys, just need your feedback and advice on this.

At the start of March I had been doing F1+H1 (with a 4times F1/2times H1 per week schedule) for a month and a half, and then started practicing Jiu Jitsu (which was something I wanted to do for a while but couldn't because of college schedules).

Anyway, at the beginning I dropped F1 to just 3 or 2 times a week, which really slowed my progress. Then when I started sparring at the end of March I had to drop it altogether because I was just too gassed. I could've kept it to about 2 times a week I guess, but I was a little burned out from college and other stuff too.

In any case, I'm now at a place where I feel comfortable enough with my jiu jitsu training that I would consider it a medium cardio training, and would like to again start training F1+H1 as much as I could without overtraining. As such, I would ask for your suggestions. My initial idea was try for a 3 times per week split schedule, maybe on Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, and see where that got me.

For reference, here are, more or less, the things my jiu jitsu training is composed of (I'd like to note that, at the moment at least, I'm not willing to give up on any of my jiu jitsu training days):

-Mondays and Wednesdays for 1&half hours, and Fridays for 3 hours (sometimes less).

-A training session consists basically of 15 minutes of "warmup" and conditioning, which amounts to some running, a lot of jumping jacks variations, crunches, neck crunches, bridges (from the shoulders), etc, all done at high/very high reps (depending on the excercise) but with limited range of motion. Absolutely no kind of strength training whatsoever here.

-After that it's 45 minutes of skill work, very low cardio here, if at all.

-The last half an hour (or last 2 hours in the case of fridays) is for sparring. Mondays and Wednesdays I'll go for about 1-3 rounds, 6 minutes each. It's hard to estimate how much of a cardio excercise this is, but afterwards I don't take too much to recover, and practically like new the day after. Fridays are a little harder, I'll go anywhere from 5 to 8 rounds of 6 minutes each here, and will be quite gassed afterwards. The next day I will be tired but not exhausted.

Thanks a lot for your responses guys, very much appreciated :)

Riku Calderón

Can you train in the mornings also?

 

I do GB stuff in the mornings and JJ or MMA in the evenings.

 

Just eat a lot carbs around the workouts and you have a good start.

 

Don't take too much GB in the beginning. Slowly work it up to 2-4 times a week. I personally use 8 day week. But it´s easier cause I could do my JJ and MMA every day. So I just pick the evening sessions that works for me.

Jon Douglas
Riku Calderón said:

Can you train in the mornings also?

I do GB stuff in the mornings and JJ or MMA in the evenings.

Just eat a lot carbs around the workouts and you have a good start.

Don't take too much GB in the beginning. Slowly work it up to 2-4 times a week. I personally use 8 day week. But it´s easier cause I could do my JJ and MMA every day. So I just pick the evening sessions that works for me.

Solid advice :D

I have best results with 2* f7 structure in a week with bjj-- not always feeling like Im half-recovered before grappling. I also find that i am better off training multiple sessions on the same day as long as i respect my rest days. Definitely start conservative and cautiously increase the frequency etc if and as appropriate :)

Warlock

Thxs for the replies guys! I will try the multiple training sessions approach this week and post back to show how good it felt. Last week I did 2 days of the foundation split + HS, felt I could've really upped the training, specially since I went a little light and crappy on my nutrition :P.

Jon Douglas
Warlock said:

Thxs for the replies guys! I will try the multiple training sessions approach this week and post back to show how good it felt. Last week I did 2 days of the foundation split + HS, felt I could've really upped the training, specially since I went a little light and crappy on my nutrition :P.

Just to note, don't forget it's not just about what you can do, it's what you can most benefit from. If you do more and gain strength at a better rate then that's awesome, but if it's the same or slower it's not worth spending the energy on (that you could be spending on skill training or being more fully recovered to work harder in your next strength session).

 

Personally I had a huge boost of progress dropping from 3*F7 to 2, despite not having any trouble completing my workouts. There is a sweet spot that gives you the best improvement, and identifying this is a very important and individual part of this whole GST journey :) It's not the easiest thing to swallow sometimes, but when you are trying to improve multiple physical abilities it's often most productive to do the minimum required for max benefit, rather than the most possible :)

That said, if you can train multiple times a day multiple days a week and benefit hugely from it, go nuts~ just be brutally honest and objective about it. If in doubt, spend the extra time on the mats :)

Chris Garay

Warlock,

 

I too have been training both the Foundation series and Jiu-Jitsu concurrently. I would recommend that you listen to your body, as you never really quite know what to expect from BJJ practice in terms of what will be worked the most. If you are doing BJJ on M-W-F, then it might be simplest to do GST on Su-Tu-Th? Just a thought!

 

More specifically, I have found that if I want to make the most progress on my GST, then I can't treat BJJ like it's exercise. That is, while GST is all about increasing strength by decreasing leverage, in BJJ practice I try to get the best leverage possible so that I don't have to use up all my strength. Does that make sense? Hope it helps!

 

Best,

Chris

mariopsych

I've been having good results training BJJ on a Monday, Wednesday, Saturday schedule. I work the FBAS and SLS elements on Sunday and Thursday, and FSAS elements on Tuesday and Friday. Although there is no dedicated rest day, the "shorter" workouts (ie. not doing all of F7 in one session), haven't (yet) necessitated dedicated off days. Of course, I'm still in Foundation 1, so it may be necessary to change when the sessions get more intense/ technically demanding. Just my $0.02.

DBeckerman

While I don't do BJJ I do judo instead as well as GST. I work shift work too so I have to move stuff around. I try to go to judo training as often as possible as I have access to classes 6 days/ week. Normally ends up 3/week. I do F7 3 x week with 1xF7 and 2xsplit and fit stretch series in. Currently adding some conditioning as well.

It keeps me busy but I am improving in all aspects my focus is time on the mat though!