Hey guys, a couple years ago I had chronic problems with right shoulder subluxation/dislocation, did pt which kind of helped, but recently I've had some moments where my shoulder just feels instable. Will F1/H1 help with this? I'm doing rotator cuff/scapula strengthening exercises that I got from pt, but my shoulder still just doesn't feel as strong as it should. I'm trying to train/compete in mma and my shoulder feels especially weak doing takedowns; I'd like to get it strong enough so that I can do double legs without any issue. I'm worried about some of the mobility exercises in F1/H1. Will the shoulder mobility exercises (I'm worried about dislocates and the distractions especially) help my shoulder become more strong and more stable, or will they make my problem worse? What do you think?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Shoulder subluxation HELP!
Started by Erin, April 24, 2014 · 6 Replies · 222 Views
I have no idea what MMA takedowns require of the shoulder. I had instability issues for a long time and was able to compensate for years by doing the shoulder mobility similar to what is included in Foundation 1 and H1. I also added a great deal of banded work to strengthen all degrees of motion.
In the end I ended up needing surgery after I tore another part of my labrum. It of course depends on the severity of your condition but I had decent results until I started doing harder ring skills (both dynamic and strength holds). At which point a combination of previous instability and poor form took me past my limit.
Years ago I suffered a bankhart lesion, which is an anterior rupture of the joint capsule of the shoulder. I had to get surgery to stop it dislocating spontaneously. F1/H1 would not have helped me instead of surgery, but your case may be different.
Mine was also Bankhart. Then a slap tear.
Did some research and figured out what movements are the ones that are dangerous in my condition. I have problems exerting strength in overhead positions, and also tranverse flexion and transverse adduction. I saw a video on youtube that was called "Scapula mobilization routine" and in it the guy did a transverse flexion with bands. I want to try I but am not sure if it would help or hurt me. Should I try to strengthen myself in transverse adduction/flexion or should I avoid it?
Erin said:Did some research and figured out what movements are the ones that are dangerous in my condition. I have problems exerting strength in overhead positions, and also tranverse flexion and transverse adduction. I saw a video on youtube that was called "Scapula mobilization routine" and in it the guy did a transverse flexion with bands. I want to try I but am not sure if it would help or hurt me. Should I try to strengthen myself in transverse adduction/flexion or should I avoid it?
You should strengthen it but build up slowly. That video is one of the ones I used and I didn't realize until I attended one of Coach's seminars but is a small part of coach's ring prep routine.
Thanks for the replys guys, this helps. But I still have one more question. I was looking thru all the im's in the foundation series, and the ones that worried me most were the shoulder stretches in the HBP and RC im's (as well as a couple in SL and MN). The arch/hollow stuff in the later HS1 im's also looked dangerous. Is it even possible to build flexibility safely when one is prone to shoulder subluxation? Or should I avoid stretching im's and work only on exercises which strengthen the shoulder girdle?