This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Maintaining Foundation during the summer?

Started by The Hansenator, April 24, 2014 · 4 Replies · 232 Views

The Hansenator

Hi all,

 

With the warmer weather, I've been getting serious about biking. It's been several years since I've ridden but I've always wanted to work up to a 100 mile "century" ride. Needless to say, it takes time and energy away from my Foundation workouts. I don't want to just stop doing Foundation, I'd like to maintain it as best I can but for now the priority will be training on the bike.

 

I welcome any suggestions.

 

Thanks.

Micawberian

you can try moving foundation into an F7 schedule. So it would be just 2 workouts a week, they are usually 1.5 hrs for me. And if your body likes it, you could move into a low recovery schedule. Basically the exact 3 day schedule posted in the course introduction, just collapsed into F7 instead of F3/F4. So that means every other week would only be one foundation workout.

And if you are pairing it with H1 there is the once/week option for that. So you are looking at anywhere from 2 hours one week to 3.5 the next week of training, and even shorter time on deloads.

Jon Douglas

1*F7 is probably the simplest strictly maintenance structure. Id do that if i were putting in the miles for a specific goal, personally.

Strongly doubt H1 would take away from your biking, and will probably keep you more comfortable doing it :) id hit that harder if anything

/2c

Joshua Slocum

Yeah, if you want to focus elsewhere but maintain where you are, I'd drop down to doing each exercise 1x/week. You may even play around with the 3x/week schedule if you think you have the time for it - that might even let you progress a bit over the summer. 

 

I agree with Jon about Handstand, too. 

The Hansenator

Yeah, F7 one or two days per week. Maybe I'll experiment with an F5 once per week and gtg my pushups and hinge rows. Progress has been really slow on those two and I've been feeling like a more frequent but lower volume approach might help.

 

I think some of the mobility exercises, and abh, would be a great remedy for being hunched over on a bike. I'll definately make time for those.