Hi guys.
This is my first post in here, so I hope it's in the right place.
I recently had a revelation that explained a lot of the problems I've been having over the years:
- As a kid, I refused to wear braces, despite my dentist warning me, that I might get chronic headaches later in life.
- This never happened, but I have always gotten dizzy when I stand up to fast - sometimes even fainted because of it.
- Whenever I'm the least bit cold, it feels like I get a sinus infection, except it only hurts in my sinuses, and not in the jaw, and other places where such an infection should hurt.
- About 6 months ago, I fell and hurt my shoulder pretty badly, and since then, it's been clicking when I rotate it.
- Since the fall, my dizziness has been way more random, to the extend that doctors confuse it with anxiety attacks.
So by chance, I picked up The Triggerpoint Therapy Workbook and found that ALL of this might be related to trigger points in the Sternocleidomastoid, and once I started massaging it, some of the trigger points in it, actually made me dizzy, even though I was laying on a table, completely still. Also, this is the first time I feel like I can actually "get to" the part within my shoulder that's clicking.
I happened to have one of my many "sinus infections" when I massaged it the first time, and it actually went away.
So I talked to my doctor about this, and she was immediately scared, when I told her about this. She said that because of the carotid artery that runs on top of the sternocleidomastoid, and the thyroid gland beneath it, this is an extremely dangerous area to massage, and that pushing the wrong area could cause a self inflicted heart attack.
She suggested that I keep stretching the muscle - but nothing else.
Searching the web for information of this, I found a LOT of information about how and why to do this massage - and the only warning I've found against it, is in a single YouTube comment.
So what is your experience with this? How should I proceed?